Non-Standard Carriers

Agent12345

Hey everyone I am looking at getting into the non-standard auto market. From what I can see the most prevalent carriers in my market (Louisiana) are direct and do not appoint independent agents. Does anyone here do a lot of non-standard auto or have any advice on where to start looking? Should I be focusing on the national carriers or more local entities. My expectation is that price will have a lot to do with sales and retention. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't know that "regional" or "local" non standard carriers existed. Off the top of my head are infinity, Titan, foremost, progressive, access and GMAC. There's a couple guys on here who run larger nonstandard shops who will prob chime in

Regional carriers are especially big in areas with a lot of nonstandard need. Im in south carolina, and you see a lot of carriers that only do business here and a few other states like fl, tx, ga, etc. For example, uaic, gainsco, accc, assurance america, greenville casualty. Since they are smaller they dont report to clue. That can be a good or bad thing depending on the circumstance. Its especially troublesome if youre trying to move them to midmarket and dont have proof of prior.

agent12345,

I can't speak for the state of LA as far as carriers, but I have noticed three things about picking up non-standard carriers in one state vs. picking up non-standard carriers in another state:

1. the more expensive the state ranks overall in avg auto insurance prices, the tougher it is to pick up non-standard carriers. (this one more so than the next two)

2. if the state is a no-fault state, that doesn't help.

3. if the state doesn't do SR22's, that doesn't help either.

I don't believe LA is a no fault state, and I'm pretty sure they do SR22's. but they are expensive compared to other states. the price may be what's giving you trouble. LA ranks near the top as far as auto insurance premiums (last year they ranked as the 7th most expensive state, but they've been ranked #1 or #2 in recent years).

It seems as GoAuto and USAgencies is the cheapest in the state. GoAuto is direct and USAgencies will appoint certain individuals but being how green I am I do not see them trying to work with me.

Does anyone have any experience with Access Insurance? The Dept. of Insurance website has a tool to compare rates for certain scenarios with different carriers and they appear to be competitive. I don't know how accurate the comparison tool is. Is Progressive very competitive?

Carriers will vary by state. I see access a fair bit here, but they may not be any good in your state. Ive been killing it with titan in sc, but in nc forget it they're no good. Progressive is one of those appointments everyone probably should get. They may not be a go-to, but you'll find use for them I'm sure.

n LA Try Safeway. National General or GMAC. They also just purchased a property company down there called Imperial.

Kemper Specialty is in that state. I got a good buddy down there in the NS world. Let me look into it.

Back