Normal hours for underwriters

SirPalomides

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum. I currently work as a producer and am looking for an underwriting job. I just completed my CPCU on my own and I got an interview with a small- midsize specialty homeowners carrier. From my initial talk with them they sound like a nice place to work, with good pay and benefits. They mentioned that the hours are 8-5 though. Is that normal? Thanks.

They mentioned that the hours are 8-5 though. Is that normal?

Yes. With an hour for lunch so the actual work day is 8 hours. However, underwriters are salaried and exempt from overtime so you might some day find yourself contributing extra hours. Goes with the job.

Many companies have some sort of flex time, which doesn't usually get revealed until after you are on the job.

And if your territory is in another time zone, you might find yourself avoiding rush hour traffic.

Understand, as an underwriter, you're basically in a production role. Year end can be brutal, as every carrier on the planet wants year-over-year growth, and every agent wants a solid year end. December may make you feel like your digging mineshafts with a pick axe.

Curious why you would want to underwrite over being a producer? A lot more money in being a producer and less work imo.

From my experience underwriters never stop working... they get all kinds of emails and calls throughout the day. Supposedly its a typically 9-5.

Curious why you would want to underwrite over being a producer? A lot more money in being a producer and less work imo.

From my experience underwriters never stop working... they get all kinds of emails and calls throughout the day. Supposedly its a typically 9-5.

I am employed at an agency, not the owner. I enjoy the work but am terrified of the idea of owning my agency, dealing with quotas, managing the business and employees, etc. I also hate doing cold calls all the time, I hate networking, hate sales in general. Im not a salesman by nature. I like the idea of a job where I am given work to do, which relies on the application of some guidelines and principles and some personal judgment. As opposed to scrounging through leads and contacts to squeeze more policies out of people.

Last edited:
I also hate doing cold calls all the time, I hate networking, hate sales in general. I'm not a salesman by nature.

No shame in any of that. I went the sales route in my early years. Didn't take me long to recognize those limitations in myself and then got into the company end of the P&C business. Plenty of room in the insurance industry for agents and company people. There wouldn't be any of either without the other.

As for the money, I'll bet that for every life producer making over $100k there are hundreds barely eking out a living who would love to be on salary riding a desk where agents beg them to write their business.
:yes:

Back