Novice Agent Taking AHIP Soon

Christian W

Hello. I have just gone through the hiring process for a health insurance company in Texas and expect to take AHIP within two weeks or so. Several years ago I held a P&C license (now lapsed at this point) and taking that test worked out fine, but I have gotten the impression that AHIP is uniquely challenging and exhaustive and I frankly know nothing about Medicare or health insurance sales.

Since receiving the news today that I am being hired, I immediately set about researching Medicare and AHIP through carefully selected videos and official websites (including medicare.gove, obviously). I am trying everything I can to get a step ahead and be ready for this test because this is a job I need and I wish to do well, especially with our current situation.

Any tips, general advice anyone can impart on me? I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Which company is it? If given in house I know that some insurers will check through your answers in order to make sure you pass

Just read all the slides on AHIP. Take the practice test and do screenshots of the answers. Then when you take the test, look back at them. Simple test once you’ve done it a couple times

Thank you. It is my understanding that the test changes each year, do you know if the test is always 50 questions as I've read? As intimated, I have decided to "over-prepare" so I can go in with greater confidence, especially since I do not know how much time my employer will give or what the exact format of the training will be (I've read mixed reviews on the company and how they administer the test*). Also, I assume all of the questions are multiple-choice.

*I may be anonymous, but as a precaution, I would prefer not to name the company. I will say that it was founded in the last 15 years and has achieved some benchmarks.

Which company is it? If given in house I know that some insurers will check through your answers in order to make sure you pass

The test will, I believe, be given in house. There is a location I am scheduled to go to at the end of this month and after passing the test, the job will (thankfully) be remote.

I flunked the test twice my first time taking it (86% and 88%). I think the computer felt sorry for me because the 3rd time I scored 98% (I'm not that smart). Each year thereafter, it got easier and I always passed on the first try. Study, study, study. Good luck.

Whether they check your answers to make sure you pass or not -- doesn't matter -- STUDY!

Good luck!

Back