Obamacare May Be Making Health Savings Accounts More Popular

What type of Health Insurance Plan do you have?

• Traditional Copay

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Health Savings Account

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • None

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
I have a client living in a $600,000 beach house...getting a nice subsidy...
Another who had to show proof of investment income, has assets north of $2mm. Generates about $60k in income a year.

Interesting tidbits on the history of HSA's

Ten Things I Bet You Don't Know About Health Savings Accounts - Forbes

There was only one insurance company that supported MSAs and wanted to offer them in the marketplace. That was Golden Rule. Its leader, Pat Rooney, was a tireless advocate.
-------------
The early exception was Golden Rule. Up until the passage of HSA legislation in 2003, Golden Rule’s annual contribution to the NCPA averaged about $100,000 in today’s dollars. Pat Rooney was a member of our Board of Directors. He and I spent many, many hours working together to make HSAs a reality. After HSA legislation passed in 2003, the value of Golden Rule soared and Pat ultimately sold it to UnitedHealthcare for a great deal of money. Beginning in 2004, and as the company was becoming increasingly profitable, however, they cut their contribution to the NCPA by two-thirds and began paying quarterly – without any future guarantees. I sent the second check back with a note that said “you apparently need this more than I do.”

Back