Offer Both Lines or Specialize in Cl or Pl?

Milkman1265

Guru
100+ Post Club
What do you guys think in regards to an insurance agency focusing on a product?

Should you generally focus on both personal and commercial lines?

Are people willing to use 2 agents for their home and business?

If you brand yourself to focus on one line, would you get their other line or they will look else well? How easy to cross sell once they become their clients?

PL or CL? what are the pros and cons of each?

also isnt specializing in p&c already focused? how narrow should you be? right now im moving toward 2 or 3 specific niches, but will you lose out on their personal lines or other opportunities? Being too greedy here?

Last edited:
Specialize in commercial and offer personal lines to the executives and employees of the business clients you have. It is the best of both worlds.

If you have a multi line agency then personal lines will be 10% of your commission and 90% of your problems. If you write preferred personal lines though it will provide a good base, the client usually pays and the business stays on the books.

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

Agree with the above comments, the only caveat I would add is that you make sure you are doing a good job for your commercial customers with their personal insurance. One bad homeowner's experience can cost you an entire commercial program if you piss off the CEO. Many commercial producers believe the additional revenue on the PI side isn't worth that risk. I say, just make sure you know what you're doing.

Back