Old Clients Coming After Me

I always wonder why people automatically want to re-write their clients just because they moved to a different company. Was the policy not good when it was sold the first time?
With many agents, it not the quality of the policy it is the availability of a new first year commission.

I always wonder why people automatically want to re-write their clients just because they moved to a different company. Was the policy not good when it was sold the first time?

The key is in the first post, Horace Mann, which primarily writes home and auto for educators. Generally you are always rewriting coverage, as people with no prior coverage generally aren't good risks.

I don't want to re-write them. They are pursuing me so I wanted to see if there is a way to protect myself if my old company came after me for violating the non solicit.

I would prefer they stay where they're at since I am trying to get away from the educator's market but I also feel a duty to provide them a quote if requested. I don't want to keep pushing them away because most of them send me non educator referrals on a regular basis while I was with Horace Mann.

I don't want to re-write them. They are pursuing me so I wanted to see if there is a way to protect myself if my old company came after me for violating the non solicit.

I would prefer they stay where they're at since I am trying to get away from the educator's market but I also feel a duty to provide them a quote if requested. I don't want to keep pushing them away because most of them send me non educator referrals on a regular basis while I was with Horace Mann.

Just tell them you'd love to help them, but need to wait until you have left a year. You honor your word and you only work with companies that honor theirs as well. But you'll make sure to reach out to them once a year is up (or however long the non-solicit is) and you appreciate the trust they have placed in you. And just like before, you'll make sure to treat anyone they refer to you with the same integrity and service as you did before.

After all, insurance is just a promise. If you can't keep yours, how can you expect anyone else to? If I have to take someone to court to make them uphold their promise, just what was it worth?

How binding this thing is must vary depending on the State..I was captive with AIG when I first started, and a guy that worked in our office left and was re-writing as many of his old clients as he could get. I was really angry, because I had been given a lot of his book. The GM sent him a couple of letters, but one of the older agents there told me to shrug it off..he said they couldn't/wouldn't do anything to him.

How binding this thing is must vary depending on the State..I was captive with AIG when I first started, and a guy that worked in our office left and was re-writing as many of his old clients as he could get. I was really angry, because I had been given a lot of his book. The GM sent him a couple of letters, but one of the older agents there told me to shrug it off..he said they couldn't/wouldn't do anything to him.

It really depends on the company's willingness to pursue it. Also how well the agreement was written.

It really depends on the company's willingness to pursue it. Also how well the agreement was written.

Must be something like that, that older agent was right. That guy went in right behind me and was re-writing policies that had already been contacted by me and replacing new business. I don't even like to think about how ticked off I was at that time, but the old guy was right, they didn't do a thing. For some reason, the older agent said they "couldn't" and were just blowing smoke. Not sure why, but he said those insurance co. agreements didn't stand up in NC..that was in 2004.

If the carrier/employer wants to make a big deal out of it they can. Even if the thing isn't enforceable in a particular state, they can still make your life miserable (and expensive) defending yourself.

If the carrier/employer wants to make a big deal out of it they can. Even if the thing isn't enforceable in a particular state, they can still make your life miserable (and expensive) defending yourself.

I wish they had gone to the trouble, but at the time they were busy integrating all of the new biz they had acquired. Guess there just wasn't the support for taking legal action against him. He was with a rather large (big 3) P/C carrier, that may have encouraged him to do it. Idk.

Back