One last question.

Cornelius

Guru
1000 Post Club
What is it about insurance or financial services?

Is it the potential income? Is it a personal mission? Is it your competive drive.

Do you think it is wrong for an agent to say they are money motivated?

Hopefully some will mention what drives them or just post an opinion.

Thanks..

Is it the potential income? Is it a personal mission? Is it your competive drive.

The opportunity to do MORE for less people (compared to banking)... and get paid a great deal to do it. Plus, unless you're really stupid, no one can fire you. :) It's truly an independence and freedom mentality... as long as you are properly trained to make it work for you.

Thanks..

Depends on who they are talking to.
- If you're talking to other agents and managers, no problem. They like hearing that. After all, we're not a 501(c)3 charity.
- If you're talking to prospects and clients, they don't care what's in it for you. That would turn them off. They are about WIIFM to help them accomplish THEIR goals.

In my opinion, unlike the real estate industry, it doesn't do well to drive around in a very high-end car and talk about how great you are. Nobody cares. In real estate, they DO like seeing that because you should be able to sell their house quickly for top dollar.

For me, it was that my income isn't determined by an organization, or a manager, its solely determined by my efforts and my ability to adapt, and overcome. I was told many times that I would fail so it has been a conquest that has turned into a great dignity. I was good at it so it got addictive, it was like a game I got paid for... the sale, the chase.. the close...and the money for sure is a bonus, but I don't get paid for or by the forum. I spend more time giving advice freely than I ever do getting paid for it. So what motivated me? Mission, Money... yep all of the above...

Is it wrong to say money motivates you... not in my world, but there has to be more than JUST the love of the money or its just another job...

In one sense, any job is "about the money" -- for family, lifestyle, etc. When we buy a car from a salesman, it is transparently "about the money," as he twists and turns to "find the number" that will cause you to buy today. Insurance has the great advantage that an agent can honestly say, "It's about partnering in helping you protect that which is valuable to you. If I do that, today and tomorrow, the money takes care of itself."

Thanks..
Definitely nothing wrong with being money motivated.. I wish I were.. However, there is a problem with someone who is money motivated to the point that they cast honesty and ethics aside... When I was captive, the thing that motivated me more than anything was recognition.. Always liked being at the top of the leader board.. :yes:

Last edited:
The opportunity to do MORE for less people (compared to banking)... and get paid a great deal to do it. Plus, unless you're really stupid, no one can fire you. :) It's truly an independence and freedom mentality... as long as you are properly trained to make it work for you.

You know what DHK, I feel like there is one person on the forum that is going to say "I can't get fired! I'll show you - watch this!"

Reactions: DHK
keep-calm-hold-my-beer-and-watch-this.png

When I got into insurance I was leaving a job I had for many years. I made $75,000 (this was back in the 1900's) plus had a free company truck, free gas, free use of motorcycles, jet ski's, etc. and free health insurance. But I worked for someone else. The attraction for me was the independence and working for myself. I would be happy to earn less if I needed to.

It was a good move. I thrive under the freedom of insurance because I'm a work-a-holic. The same thing that causes some to thrive will cause many to fail. The fact that you are accountable to no one but yourself can be good or bad depending on how self motivated you are.

Money has never been the big motivator for me. I have always been very good about living way beneath my means. If you like what you do the money will always come.

Early in my insurance career I had an offer to become a sales manager for a guy I had done some consulting work for. He was offering me $350,000 per year. That was quit a bit more than I was making at that time. But I would have to give up my independence. So I turned it down. I'm glad I did.

Independence was the motivator for me.

Independence was the motivator for me.

When I first got started, I was with American Express Financial Advisors (now known as Ameriprise) as an "employee advisor".

There were two career tracks: Management or become an "independent franchisee". I was far more attracted to the independence than I was to management... and I was only 26 at the time. Everyone else was looking at those management bonuses and slobbering over those. I liked the idea of being my own boss... I just didn't know how to go about doing it back then.

Back