Opting Out of Company Healthcare

Buccc

I am employed by a medical outpatient hospital and pay for my healthcare through them. The company which held our healthcare plan cancelled us a couple of months ago. The hospital picked up another company now i want to leave this plan and go on my husbands plan at alot less money and better coverage but my employer says i cant get out until open enrollment next year. Has anyone everheard of not being quit a plan before.

I can understand some of that but this company was added after signing up with a different company and no enrollment was offered .I signed with one company who pulled out and this company was added to take its place.I dont want to use this company as it was not the one i signed with. I know about open enrollment but i dont want to sign up i want out of a very bad plan.

You are stuck, but, go talk with the HR person for your company. Yell at them a little bit (not to much, they don't control the rules). See if there is something they can do.

Understand that you are stuck, for some good reasons that most people don't want to think about, so don't expect anything, but a good conversation doesn't hurt.

Also realize that you won't be eligible to be picked up on your husbands plan till open enrollment, so maybe it's not such a bad thing to be stuck.

Dan

Wait, you're not stuck. You can opt out at any point during the year. You have to have approval (in writing) to opt out of a 125 situation, but you can cancel your group health coverage at any point in time. I just had that asked by someone in a group, and it is allowed.

The problem is that you won't be eligible to enroll in your husband's group plan until open enrollment, and you'll lose coverage for pre-ex if you go without coverage for a while.

Drop the garbage plan, pick up a short term or regular policy until your husband's plan's enrollment opens.

Problem solved. And if you're in Texas, I'll help you get set up in the right arrangement.

You're welcome. :)

"And if you're in Texas"

Excellent point. You may need to check with your state office of the insurance commissioner to see what your state's rules are. They can be different in these type of situations, so every body could be right and wrong depending on the zip code.

Back