"Other Than That We're Healthy"

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Got a call from a referral today. Here's the message:

Hi, Bob, my name is __________ ___________ . I was referred to you by _________ ________ . We are in need of some health insurance. Right now we are on COBRA. We thought that my husband's employer was going to put us on their health plan as of January 1, 2011, but that didn't work out. We really need some insurance quick.

So, I call her back.

Me: Tell me a little about your family, and what type of coverage you are looking for.

Her: My husband and my oldest son take medication for depression. We were told it was situational. They've only been on it for 5 years. (Red Flag #1)

Me: Are there any smokers?

Her: Well, my husband doesn't smoke, but I do, and so does my 18 year old daughter (I guess that's a mother and daughter moment). Oh, and my middle son is on Clonodine for Autism. He's very high functional. (Red Flags #2 and #3)

Me: I will also need everyone's height and weight.

Her: Oh....can it just be for my husband and middle son? (Red Flag #4)

Then, at the end of the conversation, she says, "Other than that, we are all perfectly healthy. I mean, other than my son and husband going to the psychiatrist, and my other son, going for his autism, and my daughter and I smoking."

So, here is my question. What coverage can I even hope to get for them. I will tell you this, Rx coverage is main concern for them.

I was thinking of a HDHP for her (with the rate up for smoking) and opening an HSA that she can use for those that are not insurable, having her youngest son as secondary.

Any other thoughts? Are they eligible for PCIP?

Why didn't the employer coverage work out? Do you know how long it didn't work out? Are you possibly going to do a bunch of work and have them be eligble in March for employer paid coverage?

Don't know your state rules on health. Do you have a high risk pool?

Good luck and I would find out for sure how long they plan on keeping coverage before I dig too deep.

Got a call from a referral today. Here's the message:

Hi, Bob, my name is __________ ___________ . I was referred to you by _________ ________ . We are in need of some health insurance. Right now we are on COBRA. We thought that my husband's employer was going to put us on their health plan as of January 1, 2011, but that didn't work out. We really need some insurance quick.

So, I call her back.

Me: Tell me a little about your family, and what type of coverage you are looking for.

Her: My husband and my oldest son take medication for depression. We were told it was situational. They've only been on it for 5 years. (Red Flag #1)

Me: Are there any smokers?

Her: Well, my husband doesn't smoke, but I do, and so does my 18 year old daughter (I guess that's a mother and daughter moment). Oh, and my middle son is on Clonodine for Autism. He's very high functional. (Red Flags #2 and #3)

Me: I will also need everyone's height and weight.

Her: Oh....can it just be for my husband and middle son? (Red Flag #4)

Then, at the end of the conversation, she says, "Other than that, we are all perfectly healthy. I mean, other than my son and husband going to the psychiatrist, and my other son, going for his autism, and my daughter and I smoking."

So, here is my question. What coverage can I even hope to get for them. I will tell you this, Rx coverage is main concern for them.

I was thinking of a HDHP for her (with the rate up for smoking) and opening an HSA that she can use for those that are not insurable, having her youngest son as secondary.

Any other thoughts? Are they eligible for PCIP?

The kid is GI but you would have to stick a parent on app with him depending on your state....NO child only policies at all in my home state. Some carriers have a cap on how much they will rate a GI Kid, (like 300% with world as one I ran into recently) which is still probably better than cobra. Depending on the depression meds they can also get done (20-40% rating) I usually look @ humana or cigna for mental nut jobs.

I don't think I would have made it to red flag #4 before stopping that conversation though, a lot of work to highly likely see some disappointment.

If you think there's only 4 red flags there, wait until you get to the app questions..."oh yeah, we have this too. I forgot about that. Yeah, that too."

That sounds like a perfect referral situation. Surely you know some agents in GA (other than me) that deserve a client like this.

OTOH, autism is probably a decline. (Not in my office so I don't have und guides, going from memory).

For everyone else there is Golden Rule. They will exclude all the p-x conditions but at least the premium might be affordable and they won't be declined.

I just got this e-mail through our website for life insurance. They ran a quote at Preferred for themselves:

"I have Hepatitis C and seeking term life ins. I am in excellent health. Do not contact me if your company can't write a policy for the price that was quoted to me @ wwww.terminsurancebrokers.com"

Reminded me of this post...

I just got this e-mail through our website for life insurance. They ran a quote at Preferred for themselves:

"I have Hepatitis C and seeking term life ins. I am in excellent health. Do not contact me if your company can't write a policy for the price that was quoted to me @ wwww.terminsurancebrokers.com"

I love pikers who save me time like that!

LOL

What idiots!

Reminds me of how my Monday started!!
Friday say 7pm. past client calls, please call his fiance about insurance. Well, I am thinking Monday morning, not New Years Eve night or New Years, what would I possibly do for anyone. 9pm text from family member, her in-law wants to talk to me about coming off cobra. 11pm. phone call from aunt, "hi so & so texted you did you call them & happy New Years".... sure at 9pm! "oh, can you call them this weekend then...." I say how about Monday, have them send me number. Well ok. ( I mean seriously this is New Years Eve & a weekend)
7:30am Monday morning -- clients finance ---- she's really healthly but had cancer 5 years ago but no more. Oh ok!!

While on phone-- e-mail I guess its urgent call the in-law of my aunt. On cobra-- really healthy (all over weight, one smoker, 3 bp Rx on wife and mild depression --oh ok)

Sound close???

Several years ago I was talking with a lady. Conversation was going good enough. I asked her the usual questions about her health and blah blah blah. She said she's fine, no problems. Nothing's wrong, she told me almost convincingly.

Then when I thought I had done just about enough digging, she suddenly remembers that she was diagnosed with emphysema a few years prior. I said I could understand how easy it would be to forget about such a thing.

That was about all the conversation we had...

Back