Our Moderators and Founder Do a Fantastic Job.

Just to respond to the specific point, there is a huge difference between policing vulgarity and policing negativity, fights, etc... If a word is vulgar, there is a lot less subjectivity. Obviously not 100% less, because as you said here and in our discussions, you don't think calling someone the nickname for Richard is vulgar. I disagree and that is that.

These are simple to deal with, just see them, and delete them.

The rest of the Foresters thread is a much different affair. There was a quality discussion going on about if certificates are as good as insurance or not. I agree that the tone was combative, but I thought that the discussion was important. Maybe take a minute to re-read the thread and decide if the reader will come away with some pretty good insight into that important question or not.

This is not at all to say that the tone of the forum is great, there is way more negativity than I would like, and that is something that is important to us, it's just much harder to impact, and will take a lot more time! I do appreciate you sharing your perspective.

Also, I will add that the mod team is the best! Admin, maybe not, but the mods and Val are first class!

I would also say: Job well done.

As the past president of closed, specific site for a hobby I love...monitoring the "crap" was part of the job. People can sure get vicious, even when they don't hide behind made up names!

Sam & volunteers...you all do an excellent job. Thank you.

Just to respond to the specific point, there is a huge difference between policing vulgarity and policing negativity, fights, etc... If a word is vulgar, there is a lot less subjectivity. Obviously not 100% less, because as you said here and in our discussions, you don't think calling someone the nickname for Richard is vulgar. I disagree and that is that.

These are simple to deal with, just see them, and delete them.

The rest of the Foresters thread is a much different affair. There was a quality discussion going on about if certificates are as good as insurance or not. I agree that the tone was combative, but I thought that the discussion was important. Maybe take a minute to re-read the thread and decide if the reader will come away with some pretty good insight into that important question or not.

This is not at all to say that the tone of the forum is great, there is way more negativity than I would like, and that is something that is important to us, it's just much harder to impact, and will take a lot more time! I do appreciate you sharing your perspective.

Also, I will add that the mod team is the best! Admin, maybe not, but the mods and Val are first class!

I agree the reader does come away with pretty good insight into that important question. I just don't see how taming the tone is any harder or less important then vulgarity. I used a vulgarity and you told me nicely not to. Someone uses a combative tone or name calls tell them not to. Use the same email just exchange vulgarity for combative tone or silly name calling. The vulgarity may keep someone from seeing the forum because a work place filter but the combative tones keep professionals from even attempting to access the forum.

I have no problem with where the threshold for vulgarity is, wherever you want it is fine. I was just surprised and unclear where it is.***holes is fine but nickname for Richard is not?

I thought all you mod's did was delete spam but there must be more to ya. Thanks for all you do!

Mods will legit review posts. If you don't like something, report it. I didn't want to waste anyone's time and didn't think the system would work, but Sam told me to go for it so I did. Very impressed with how responsive they are and it's made the last few years much more pleasant here.

Sam is already criticized for censoring stuff too much, it's tough to encourage free and open discussion while censoring folks, but I think overall the forum is very well run.

First of all, there is no such thing as censorship on a privately owned forum.

If a group of people are over your house, and one guy is rude and vulgar, it's not censorship when you boot his ass out.

You wish to express your opinion without being "censored" you can start a blog or your own forum.

First of all, there is no such thing as censorship on a privately owned forum.

If a group of people are over your house, and one guy is rude and vulgar, it's not censorship when you boot his ass out.

You wish to express your opinion without being "censored" you can start a blog or your own forum.

Censorship is "suppressing unacceptable parts". I don't think it has to be by the government to be called censorship. Why can't it be done by the official of a private forum.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You made me curious so I looked it up.

From Merriam-Webster
Definition of CENSORSHIP

a : the institution, system, or practice of censoring
b : the actions or practices of censors; especially : censorial control exercised repressively

From Wikipedia
Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body. It can be done by governments and private organizations or by individuals who engage in self-censorship.

Last edited:
Back