Over-the-counter hearing aids expected this fall in US

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/16/over-the-counter-hearing-aids-expected-this-fall-in-us-.html

Consumer electronic companies for years have produced lower-cost “personal sound amplification” devices, but U.S. regulations bar them from being marketed as hearing aids and they do not undergo FDA review. The new rule makes explicit that those devices are not alternatives to FDA-vetted hearing aids. Companies that market them inappropriately could face penalties, such as fines or product seizures.

Here we go again . . .

For years, "low cost" health insurance plans were marketed heavily to consumers. Many plans were nothing more than a placebo, yet they proliferated and caused a lot of problems.

oortrompet-3.jpg

I'm all for things going OTC. But everytime a drug goes OTC, the price skyrockets.

On the other hand, if this gets them to a reasonable cost (under $500), I'm all for it.

I'm all for things going OTC. But everytime a drug goes OTC, the price skyrockets.

On the other hand, if this gets them to a reasonable cost (under $500), I'm all for it.

I am sure you know how much brand name drugs have increased in price vs generics. When Rx copays were introduced (back when you were still in high school) generics were a buck, brand name drugs $5.

Of course that has all changed by now.

A "generic" OTC hearing amplifier is not the same as a hearing aid. I could be wrong, but I doubt Oticon, Phonak, Resound, Siemens . . . are going to reduce prices when these OTC devices are readily available.

Mail Order/Internet Hearing Aids - Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board

I am sure you know how much brand name drugs have increased in price vs generics. When Rx copays were introduced (back when you were still in high school) generics were a buck, brand name drugs $5.

Of course that has all changed by now.

A "generic" OTC hearing amplifier is not the same as a hearing aid. I could be wrong, but I doubt Oticon, Phonak, Resound, Siemens . . . are going to reduce prices when these OTC devices are readily available.

So I am going to keep sending people to Costco, correct?

Mail Order/Internet Hearing Aids - Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board

Except for those who only go to Sam's . . .

FWIW the folks that work at stores that sell hearing aids are usually not audiologists . . . they are people who have training to perform limited testing and suggest a hearing aid they sell that might work for some but not others.

If your hearing problem is complex you should consult an audiologist and probably go to a higher priced model.

Last edited:
Back