Overcoming Objections

When I am talking to prospects I RARELY mention illness. Hardly anyone, especially folks under 60 or so, think they will get sick. But you don't get much argument when talking about accidents.

Living in Atlanta where it seems like there is a car fatality almost every day I use the "suppose you are going down 75 and a truck runs over you" story. Even the most careful driver will readily admit they can be involved in an accident through no fault of their own.
My examples always center around their occupation.

You can talk about an essential tremor with a surgeon, or the car falling off the lift with a mechanic.

To your point, the more relatable your example, the more likely it hits home.

Ray is spot on about centering the disucssion around their occupation.

Also, most people think about injury when it comes to DI. But sickness is a bigger reality, and something that scares people a lot more than physical injury. And most DI claims are for sickness, not injuries.

So dont talk about "getting hit by a bus", talk about getting diagnosed with cancer, or a seizure disorder, or having a stroke or a heart attack, etc etc etc.

Almost everyone has had a loved one affected by sickness... very few have had a loved one hit by a bus...

I find they either "get it" or they don't, I've had very little success convincing anyone to change their mind over the years. I basically tell them they need it and let's at least get something in place that works for your budget. Come back with Option A, B, and C and go from there. I tell them it's expensive, I hate paying my own premiums each month for it, but I keep it because...(insert story about clients I met that didn't have it).

Managing client expectations regarding premium is vital with individual disability, especially if they are accustomed to group rates.

Back