Ow.ly or Bit.ly

What's the difference? Which one is better or are they equal?

I haven't heard of Ow.ly but I have an account with Bit.ly. With that one you can customize the link. For example if the assigned short URL is Bit.ly/3kisy45 you can change it to Bit.ly/MyCoolSite (if not already taken, of course). Other options include stat counts and a way to "bundle" your bitmarks. I never figured out the purpose of bundling, though. As for as one being better....if they both shorten your URL and always work then I'd say they are equal.

Why are you masking links? Are you trying to shorten them for twitter? Most sharing sites you can input the link (it will pop up) and after writing your intro or comment on the topic, you can erase the link and it still stays.

They both have equal value

Why are you masking links? Are you trying to shorten them for twitter? Most sharing sites you can input the link (it will pop up) and after writing your intro or comment on the topic, you can erase the link and it still stays.

They both have equal value

It does give another way to track traffic which can be super helpful.

Not masking, just making it shorter with tracking which is something you can't do with tiny url.

Ow.ly is part of Hoot Suite and maybe they use that to introduce you to their services. Guess I need to find out why, or if, I need something like Hoot.

Like somarco says, Ow.ly is the link shortener used by Hootsuite's social media management software. Their program is good for planning and executing your social media marketing campaigns, and they give you a bunch of tools so show you how you're doing. So basically, you can spend a few hours every Monday planning and scheduling your posts on twitter/fb/etc for the whole week so that your followers will get a steady stream of posts. It does more than that but you get the idea...

You may what to consider buffer's service. They offer scheduling, link shortening, and analytics for free.

A/B testing tweets, shares, etc is really easy.

Check it out - bufferapp.com

You might want to check out buffer.

They have built-in link shortening, plus scheduling and analytic software.

A/B testing social posts is really easy using their platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back