Part D Late Enrollment Penalty

usakr

Guru
100+ Post Club
If a person qualifies for partial extra help (25%), will he get his part D late enrollment penalty waived or does he need to qualify for full extra help?

According to the Medicare and You handbook, if you qualify for it at all. There is no late enrollment penalty.

That's how I understood it. However, when I went to the ss office and asked that question they told me he would still be on the hook for the penalty.
Then I called Medicare and they told me any level would work.

I would not trust anything anyone at the local SS office told me about Medicare. Let them stick to Social Security benefit stuff.

I have helped several people without part d apply for LIS, and then after they were approved, enrolled into a PDP. The beneficiaries did not have to pay a LEP. Some had full LIS, and others had partial.

I average one or two new members per month that I helped apply for and become eligible for LIS, sometimes full LIS and sometimes partial. The LEP has never applied to any of them that I am aware of.

I would not trust anything anyone at the local SS office told me about Medicare. Let them stick to Social Security benefit stuff.

First rule of insurance club, don't rely on what every Social Security or insurance company service rep tells you.:twitchy: One reason why the forum helps so much

----------

It has already been said, and I have been under the impression that, like life insurance, you start with the Medicare supplement policy you bought in the place and at the age/plan choice you purchased it and that moves with you. Unless you ask for changes, no matter where you move, it stays the same, except for annual increases based on original place of issue. I will watch the thread to see if any rate change options happen automatically with an address change to another state. I have clients who moved to Wisconsin, where there are other Med supp options. They still have the plans they started with before moving there.

Different from MAPD and Part D which are plans set up by regions, and have rules that plans must change when the insured moves out of the "plan service area".

Back