Personal Branding in the Insurance Industry

Have you ever created or used a personal brand (instead of your platform's brand exclusively)?

• I've worked with a consultant, but don't use the brand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've worked with a consultant, but don't use the brand

• I've worked with a consultant, and use my brand all the time

• What the heck is a personal brand?

• Total voters
Gotta be careful who you contract with while creating or maintaining a personal brand. I was with Lincoln Heritage which had/has alot of nice selling points. I produced for them on a monthly basis but the agency I was aligned with had this 5k a month minimum requirement. My question is why? They pay strictly commission and it costs basically nothing to have me on as an agent. They canceled my contract for not reaching the 5k minimum which makes no sense. If I am producing ANY business it is worthwhile to have me represent them....when they are giving me NOTHING as far as a salary. The only reason they would cancel me is out of pure spite. A way to "get back at me" for not making them enough money. A way to "zing me." So I'm out representing them in my community saying how great they are and then have to go around saying "ehh...they aren't so great after all." If they gave me a salary it would be one thing...or free leads. But they don't. They charge agents exorbitant prices for I will admit are decent leads. As decent as can be had at least...but in no way are they "free". Anyway...watch out for Lincoln Heritage agencies. The company itself seems to be fine..but it's the agencies who will get you with their psychotic "sell...sell...sell" approach....and it you don't they will try to "get even" with you and punish you any way they can out of revenge and spite. That's just the way it is.

Gotta be careful who you contract with while creating or maintaining a personal brand. I was with Lincoln Heritage which had/has alot of nice selling points. I produced for them on a monthly basis but the agency I was aligned with had this 5k a month minimum requirement. My question is why? They pay strictly commission and it costs basically nothing to have me on as an agent. They canceled my contract for not reaching the 5k minimum which makes no sense. If I am producing ANY business it is worthwhile to have me represent them....when they are giving me NOTHING as far as a salary. The only reason they would cancel me is out of pure spite. A way to "get back at me" for not making them enough money. A way to "zing me." So I'm out representing them in my community saying how great they are and then have to go around saying "ehh...they aren't so great after all." If they gave me a salary it would be one thing...or free leads. But they don't. They charge agents exorbitant prices for I will admit are decent leads. As decent as can be had at least...but in no way are they "free". Anyway...watch out for Lincoln Heritage agencies. The company itself seems to be fine..but it's the agencies who will get you with their psychotic "sell...sell...sell" approach....and it you don't they will try to "get even" with you and punish you any way they can out of revenge and spite. That's just the way it is.

Just a quick read through that but here are a few points to ponder:

#1 - I'm not in insurance for the companies I represent.
#2 - They are not in the industry because of me.
#3 - Clients don't really care who or why you do what you do, they just want you to help them.

Was a one company boy in the day, slowly became a man who chooses the companies I want to work with, not for.

You need to change your mind set and adjust your attitude. Not coming down on you, just trying to offer you a better perspective. :)

#1 - I'm not in insurance for the companies I represent.

Caveat not an agent.

I may be overly naive, but I don't know that all consumers understand that.

This jumps from insurance a bit, but as an example, a few years ago I had a young man from Edward Jones doing door to door canvassing. I wasn't particularly interested but he did make a couple of comments that interested me.

He was opening an office in a suburb area 10 miles or so away from me. Getting there would include driving on some 4-6 lane high speed roadways. Wasn't interested. However I had noticed 2 Edward Jones offices within 5 minutes of my home. I started to think about them a little bit. After this door to door prospector had sent me some information by mail and then come back a third time, I mentioned that to him. He then explained to me that while I could do that, if I did that it would not benefit him personally and I would not be interacting with any of his associates.

Going back to insurance, if I did not have the reading background here, if I went to 3 life insurance companies and filled out their contact screens for information, I am pretty sure I would see the responders as representatives of the company, not as the independent business people that are portrayed in posts here.

I am not sure but I think I had that situation when I first started looking for a Medicare Supplement. I went to one particular carrier I was interested in and asked for some information. I was just rereading headings on an old email a few months ago with the idea of recontacting someone. It appeared to me that the person I thought was a carrier employee was actually somekind of third party company subcontracting agent.

And so on. I think some of those relationships can be quite murky to the consumer.

I may be overly naive, but I don't know that all consumers understand that.

That was not for the customers benefit, I made that statement for @johnnyg.

Sounds like he needs to adjust his perspective a bit, so that he can keep his mind straight an din the "game" so to speak. A bad attitude for too long puts a guy out of this business faster than just about anything,

That was not for the customers benefit, I made that statement for @johnnyg.

Sounds like he needs to adjust his perspective a bit, so that he can keep his mind straight an din the "game" so to speak. A bad attitude for too long puts a guy out of this business faster than just about anything,

I can see that. I just got in trouble in another thread in relation to a bad attitude I have maintained for over 40 years in relation to some selling training or practices. :1laugh:

Looks like I wandered in the wrong room.

I have been watching Yellowstone and now have a different perspective on personal branding.

McDonald's holds the all time record to branding and Nike follows close second.

Additionally... one serves something resembling food while being responsible for a full 1/4 of the world's diabetes and the other uses famous black folks to advertise products produced with slave labor. :skeptical:

Now that is branding. "Let go branding. "

:policeman: enough of that!

Ok, I'll stop.:nah:

Back