PFFS Dual Product

Just to add to the conversation.

Congress passed a bill on 12-20-07, that effectively stops any SNP expansions until DEC. 31 2009. Meaning for the 2010 season.

So, I bet you will see a few WellCare copycats in the coming year. Since all the true SNP programs can't expand

I see the point on MediCal reimbursement I have 2 agents out there who have been dealing with provider issues all year. Wellcare and others. Here in TX Medicaid has been picking up the 20% in most cases, so proivider issues have been fewer, but still there.

The WellCare program gives them Dental, Vision and hearing above and beyond the state program. Some states provide some or all of these services. Idaho being one. However, the WellCare plan is an indemnity dental program. $1000 toward whatever they need, not just fillings, but dentures and cosmetic if they want. $260 toward eyeglasses isn't too shabby either. A lot of members have been combining the state and Duet benefits to get nicer glasses or higher quality dentures.

The $30 OTC benefit doesn't sound like much, but if your income is under $800per mo. an extra $30 for basic household and personal care items goes a long way. It is ordered from a catalog that has most eveything you would find in a Walgreens. $360 per year use it or lose it.

I've seen better benefits in some areas, like Houston here.(94 MA plans filed there, can you pick a winner?):radar:

On the whole, WellCare has been doing quite well. They aren't a home run in some counties, but there is usually another plan you can use to pickup the slack.

Thank you for a well thought out, informative post.

You are correct. I understand that in other parts of the country the Duet plan is beneficial.

I can only speak about how it works (or doesn't work) in California.

Rick

Back