Please help me manage my expectations for Medicare leads.

multipledigits

I'm coming from Assurance where in our teams chat it's a daily thing for people to rage quit because the leads are terrible. And by terrible leads I mean it's like 1 out of every 3 live transfers is someone who doesn't have A/B and isn't old enough for it or disabled so we can't put them in a plan anyway. Or it's someone who was cold transferred to us and they don't even know what it's for and had no idea they were calling about Medicare in the first place. Or someone saw an ad that says, "Seniors over 65 qualify for $3,000 stimulus check" but obviously that isn't true.

I hate it so much. My conversion rate has tanked (and thus my commissions as well) because I cannot in good conscience change a lot of these people's plans. They're either in a good retirement plan or have so many doctors and prescriptions that changing carriers would be a nightmare for them. Our sales managers are like well-seasoned MLM gurus with the amount of gaslighting and "you just don't want it bad enough" bullshit responses.

What I would like to ask or get advice on is this:
- Is this extremely common for all FMOs or lead generation companies? (bogus ads, etc.)
- Can I, as an independent agent working remotely, get better leads through direct mail or other digital lead methods?
- Is it reasonable to expect that the leads I purchase should be for people who are actually wanting to talk about Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplements?

I have already started the process of transferring to Ritter so I can work independently because Assurance is a personal hell. I want to actually help people. I hate that each day I go online to start taking calls I feel as though I'm selling my soul.

I know that there is always going to be something "hard" or challenging about this job. I just want to know if when I leave Assurance, if I stay persistent and invest the right amount of money in the right places, if I'll be setting myself up for success or if it's going to be more of the same.

I am absolutely burnt out at Assurance. I am wondering if this is even a career pathway I should be on. I've been doing this for over a year now and every time I reach out to a manager or someone for help or guidance I am always met with the most generic "you gotta get in that money mindset" and it's going to make me vomit. Working with Assurance has made me absolutely hate my life and become miserable, bitter, and depressed.

Everything I have learned about Medicare has been entirely because I watched hours-long YouTube videos, read as many CMS articles as I can, and via trial and error. Despite being completely new to sales and insurance when I started, I've managed to sell a lot of policies and for the most part always keep my conversion rate above 15%. Effectuation is always above 90%. I contract with several carriers and in the hundreds of calls/sales or whatever that I've made over the last year I've only had one allegation. I want to do this, and I feel like I've shown it. But I don't think it matters to Assurance as long as they keep draining the industry for as many dollars as possible.

I really enjoyed the quality and type of people I sit with through my agencies Medicare direct mail leads. Maybe you need to throw the phone down and get into the field and try a different approach at an amazing business.

I'm coming from Assurance where in our teams chat it's a daily thing for people to rage quit because the leads are terrible. And by terrible leads I mean it's like 1 out of every 3 live transfers is someone who doesn't have A/B and isn't old enough for it or disabled so we can't put them in a plan anyway. Or it's someone who was cold transferred to us and they don't even know what it's for and had no idea they were calling about Medicare in the first place. Or someone saw an ad that says, "Seniors over 65 qualify for $3,000 stimulus check" but obviously that isn't true.

I hate it so much. My conversion rate has tanked (and thus my commissions as well) because I cannot in good conscience change a lot of these people's plans. They're either in a good retirement plan or have so many doctors and prescriptions that changing carriers would be a nightmare for them. Our sales managers are like well-seasoned MLM gurus with the amount of gaslighting and "you just don't want it bad enough" bullshit responses.

- Is this extremely common for all FMOs or lead generation companies? (bogus ads, etc.)
- Can I, as an independent agent working remotely, get better leads through direct mail or other digital lead methods?
- Is it reasonable to expect that the leads I purchase should be for people who are actually wanting to talk about Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplements?

I have already started the process of transferring to Ritter so I can work independently because Assurance is a personal hell. I want to actually help people. I hate that each day I go online to start taking calls I feel as though I'm selling my soul.

I know that there is always going to be something "hard" or challenging about this job. I just want to know if when I leave Assurance, if I stay persistent and invest the right amount of money in the right places, if I'll be setting myself up for success or if it's going to be more of the same.

I am absolutely burnt out at Assurance. I am wondering if this is even a career pathway I should be on. I've been doing this for over a year now and every time I reach out to a manager or someone for help or guidance I am always met with the most generic "you gotta get in that money mindset" and it's going to make me vomit. Working with Assurance has made me absolutely hate my life and become miserable, bitter, and depressed.

Everything I have learned about Medicare has been entirely because I watched hours-long YouTube videos, read as many CMS articles as I can, and via trial and error. Despite being completely new to sales and insurance when I started, I've managed to sell a lot of policies and for the most part always keep my conversion rate above 15%. Effectuation is always above 90%. I contract with several carriers and in the hundreds of calls/sales or whatever that I've made over the last year I've only had one allegation. I want to do this, and I feel like I've shown it. But I don't think it matters to Assurance as long as they keep draining the industry for as many dollars as possible.

This is a great business to be in, you're just in the wrong place. Going independent is absolutely the best choice, that is....if you have some bank roll to get you through the first year. I don't buy leads or do no marketing, but you'll reach that point of generating clients via referrals after 5+ years.

I found a good place for people turning 65 comes from my existing Obamacare ACA book of business, you should consider that avenue also as a self generating lead source. Get them before age 64, and they become a client for life.

Independent is the only way friend. I've been both ways trust me

I found an FMO where the top execs are still producers and work with producers in the field. MUCH better advice

All that happy talk crap is for the birds. GOOD LUCK

Your post here reminds me of the place where I started - 2 months of complete sales hell. I am SO happy that I quickly saw the light and went off on my own. It wasn't easy - I held down multiple other jobs while I started but I now work very little and have reached a 6 figure income. RUN, don't walk, and get out of your current environment and start your next chapter.

Back