Please...some advice

I think you can translate that advice to all areas of insurance. I always get my radar up when someone agrees to meet with me but "can't" for 5 days. That's normally a bad sign.

When I set appointments they're for the next day or following. Three days out is my max. Any more than three days out and I'll say "I'll just give you a call back in two days and we'll schedule a time to meet then."

Most of your stand-ups and "you have a card?" people are the same ones who want to schedule "next Thursday."

All great points...and well taken. Thanks to all.

One more question: What is fair compensation for her effort? Pay per appt? Per hour? Should I pay her extra if a sale is made?

Well let's think about that. She is your mother. She stayed up all night with you when you were a baby, kissed your boo-boo's when you got hurt, that's worth a lot. She made you clean your room, that is definitely a minus. However, she did teach you to talk so some day you could be an insurance agent. Big plus.

All kidding a side, I would think something around $8.00 per hour and a very nice bonus for every appointment you turn into a sale.

Your average commission when you sell a med supp will probably be around $22.00 per month. With her setting your appointments you should be able to sell 5-7 per week pretty easily. I would think that around 50 to 75% of your first months commission would be fair. After all, she is doing all the "hard work". Selling is the easy part.

However, if you really appreciate everything she did for you were growing up give her 100% of your first months commission. It's only money, and without even knowing you I'll bet she has already earned it. I know my mother has. :D

If you take care of your employees, your employees will take care of you.

Back