Preferred/Non-Tobacco Rates During Open Enrollement

Never take advice about Hoosiers from a Kentuckian. Me and JD and Travis were talking about this just this evening. JD thought all companies charged smoker rates in Indiana for non underwritten cases. Travis thought none of them did. They were both wrong. Most companies do. But at least one (Aetna) doesn't. There may be others. Aetna is very competitive here. So I've never needed a 2nd one for GI cases. Just write Aetna for those smokers and you will be fine.

Are you sure???????? Lol.

Never take advice about Hoosiers from a Kentuckian.

Me and JD and Travis were talking about this just this evening. JD thought all companies charged smoker rates in Indiana for non underwritten cases. Travis thought none of them did.

They were both wrong. Most companies do. But at least one (Aetna) doesn't. There may be others. Aetna is very competitive here. So I've never needed a 2nd one for GI cases. Just write Aetna for those smokers and you will be fine.

Aetna only lets them have non tobacco rates on open enrollment or GI business. FU they have to pay smoker rates.

It's a state issue. In Ky no company can ask the smoking question for open enrollment or GI cases. Those same companies do ask in Indiana. ---------- Aetna charges my smokers in Indiana the smoking rate. On the old AmCon and also on the CLI.

So really it's a state of Kentucky issue and outside of that it's a carrier issue. In most states a carrier will decide whether or not they charge tobacco rates to those applying during OE.

If you'll go back and read in one of my other posts I said unless a state mandates it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Kentucky is the exception and not the norm.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Kentucky is the exception and not the norm.

Is Kentucky a state? I thought they got kicked out.

As for the ongoing debate re Aetna giving NT rates to tobacco users when applying during initial enrollment, not that I would have reason to doubt any of you, but I didn't find that in the underwriting guide.

Maybe it is a secret and I can't find it because I am on double secret probation.

Back