Prequalifying for Medicare

jeff88

Expert
What questions do you ask on the phone when setting appointments to sell medicare to screen out those who you probably won't sell anything to?

If you have a phone script typed out, paste it here if you can, or where can I get some training on what to say on the phone and at the appointment for that matter?

It's just going to take some time. The more time you spend on the phone, you will figure out when it's worth extra screening and it's not. Nothing applies to every situation.

It also has to do a lot with how qualified your lead is before you present and attempt to close.

Cold/aged leads are going to need something of value from you before you start heavy screening, in most, not all cases.

Every other kind of lead where their specifically looking right now, you're going to have a much easier time screening them right away.

Do you (and/or spouse) have any major illnesses such as diabetes, cancer, heart conditions, liver or kidney disease?

How many times have you been hospitalized in the last 2 years?

Those are two good questions to ask when trying to pre-qualify health-wise.

You need to make sure they are on a supplement and not an advantage plan also. You don't want to be running a bunch of Appts that you can't sell. Of course MA people do seem to be better FE buyers. But of you are selling supplements only than you dont want to be talking to those people.

Unless you are looking to market to Dual Eligibles, "Are you on Medicaid?" is a good one.

Once upon a time when I used to work for a certain carrier that didn't (at that time) have a plan designed for duals, (or any 0 premium plan at all in the area) before I knew better I would waste trips to meet with people who were on Medicaid and couldn't/shouldn't enroll in that plan. This was despite the fact that the company's Telemarketers were supposed to ask that question. I haven't worked the MA market in several years, so I don't know how common plans that are designed for duals are. I do know that they are available in some areas.

Asking if they are on some kind of group coverage is another one. In my experience, dropping that (i.e. retirement group coverage) is basically never in the prospect's best interest.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In general, IMO if it's just across town, it's perhaps less necessary to pre-qualify. If you've got a day's worth of appointments set, some of which are sure things (as Frank used to say--"Just going there to pick up the check," after you've already talked about everything about the Supp on the phone) it's perhaps less necessary.

But if it involves driving a good distance or will take 30-60 (or more) mins to get there, best to find out as much on the phone as you can. A fair number of appointments are going to be no-shows anyway, so you wouldn't want to waste a trip entirely.

Last edited:
Back