Pretending Social Security is an annuity and calculating a base for it???

LostDollar

There's No Toilet Paper- on the Road Less Traveled
5000 Post Club
Kansas
(Caveat, not an agent.)

For retirement asset allocation purposes:

If one wanted to pretend Social Security is an annuity and make some lifespan assumptions:

How would they compute a $ basis for the annuity payment in order to do asset allocation %'s with other retirement assets?

Thank you.

(Caveat, not an agent.)

If one wanted to pretend Social Security is an annuity and make some lifespan assumptions:

How would they compute a $ basis for the annuity payment in order to do asset allocation %'s with other retirement assets?

Thank you.

Not an asset, it ends at death, so I would say it is an income, just like a pension or a part time job is. An asset is generally something that has a calculated value that can be sold or left as an inheritance. Solely my opinion, not part of my Harvard education

But other much smarter professionals than I do consider it an inflation adjusted asset that should come into play in your asset allocation assumptions. Obviously, people that meet their needed income needs from SS & pensions can have a more aggressive portfolio than someone that must generate X amount of income from a more limited portfolio

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Should You Count Social Security as a Bond?

Last edited:
(Caveat, not an agent.)

Thank you.
Reverse engineer a SPIA quote. Your monthly income for life = how much you'd have to put down initially to get that amount.

You're going to get a decent idea that way.

Then assume that the whole thing is a spend down savings account, meant to be zero at life expectancy. That way, the only wrong calculation (you live a long time) is in your favor.

It depends on the age as to what the lump sum equivalent would be needed to replace it with a SPIA.

Bobs math was pretty good in general. A 70 year old could probably get a 7% payout rate these days. Im not sure what the exact payout rate on the top spias are right now for age 70. But its all age dependent.

Back