Primary reasons one would not "pass underwriting" when applying for say new Medigap Insurance?

phaedruspress

Expert
I suppose if you are an intravenous drug user that would be a non starter but for example I currently have HDF but come next year will take a good look at HDG. I am also guessing that the threshold is different from company to company but for example would elective hernia mesh surgery (unsuccessful; it came back) a few years ago or successful cataract surgery be something that would ruffle some feathers? Male, 69 in June in good health though who knows what might be lurking. Do I need a family health history (couldn't get it) in order to switch plans if I wanted to. What would be the top disqualifications? TIA. Incidentally I tried GOOGLING but apparently I do not know the right search criteria since it appeared that most of the links were about mortgages.

what are the characteristics of not being able to pass underwriting - Google Search

I suppose if you are an intravenous drug user that would be a non starter but for example I currently have HDF but come next year will take a good look at HDG. I am also guessing that the threshold is different from company to company but for example would elective hernia mesh surgery (unsuccessful; it came back) a few years ago or successful cataract surgery be something that would ruffle some feathers? Male, 69 in June in good health though who knows what might be lurking. Do I need a family health history (couldn't get it) in order to switch plans if I wanted to. What would be the top disqualifications? TIA. Incidentally I tried GOOGLING but apparently I do not know the right search criteria since it appeared that most of the links were about mortgages.

what are the characteristics of not being able to pass underwriting - Google Search

Heart event, stroke or cancer in past 24 months. Chronic medical condition that runs up doctor bills. Upcoming surgeries (knees, hips, cataracts, etc. ) Most insulin diabetics will be declined.

^Newby

Thank you. As mentioned failed elective hernia mesh surgery (Jan. 2017) which at some point maybe next year and if so my question is moot since I would still be with HDF but if I would like to try again say in 2021 is this something I need to disclose come open enrollment next year if I decide to switch from HDF to HDG? TIA.

HDF and HDG is literally almost 100% identical. If a client called me to switch I would just say....why. To save $1?

The only difference between the two plans are if you get hospitalized before ever going to a doctor. Prob won’t happen.

Could be any number of reasons current PT, Injections at doc office, Stent last 2 years, Pain meds Back issues Major arthritis, and many more

Also, different ins companies have dif guidelines that's why you should use an experienced agent

I have got many approved that were previously told they could not get approved

Insurance companies do not concern themselves with what is lurking unless there is something going on (treatments, medication, etc) to indicate theremay be something in the background.. On the mesh surgery, has it been recommended that you have it redone? Pending surgery can be a problem.. .The main thing is what have you specifically been treated for in the last 2 years..

Could be any number of reasons current PT, Injections at doc office, Stent last 2 years, Pain meds Back issues Major arthritis, and many more

Also, different ins companies have dif guidelines that's why you should use an experienced agent

I have got many approved that were previously told they could not get approved

Thanks. What does the "PT" stand for when you write "current PT"

Insurance companies do not concern themselves with what is lurking unless there is something going on (treatments, medication, etc) to indicate theremay be something in the background.. On the mesh surgery, has it been recommended that you have it redone? Pending surgery can be a problem.. .The main thing is what have you specifically been treated for in the last 2 years..

>On the mesh surgery, has it been recommended that you have it redone?

Thanks. The doctor who performed the surgery has moved out of state. I have not subsequently been back to any physician to discuss having the surgery again though the hernia is the same size it was prior to the first surgery. So there would be no record of me with any health care professional discussing this. Does that count for anything, no doctor visits to discuss further elective surgery when it comes to switching plans? TIA.

>On the mesh surgery, has it been recommended that you have it redone?

Thanks. The doctor who performed the surgery has moved out of state. I have not subsequently been back to any physician to discuss having the surgery again though the hernia is the same size it was prior to the first surgery. So there would be no record of me with any health care professional discussing this. Does that count for anything, no doctor visits to discuss further elective surgery when it comes to switching plans? TIA.
The question would be have been advised to have surgery that has not been performed.. The honest answer would be no...

Back