Progressive commercial auto...Are only those named on the policy covered drivers?

KnowNothing

If I loaned a work truck to someone not named on the policy would there be coverage in the event of an accident?
Thanks in advance.

Technically NO. Or maybe to the vehicle your friend hit but not for yours. Or pays out claim and doesnt catch the driver discrepancy.. Did you ask your agent about other employees driving the vehicles?

I'll clarify that a bit.

One doesn't actually list the drivers on the policy. One provides a list of drivers to the underwriter so that the underwriter can obtain driving records, or the insured obtains the driving records and relays them to the underwriter. The list is not a warranty that these will be the only drivers throughout the policy term as drivers can change and drivers don't necessarily have to be employees.

The ISO commercial auto liability form CA 0001 0306 provides:

Who Is An Insured
The following are "insureds":
a. You for any covered "auto".
b. Anyone else while using with your permission a covered "auto" you own, hire or borrow.

There are some exceptions to that but they don't apply to KnowNothing's question. Non-ISO forms should have the same or similar wording though I have no idea what a Progressive policy says.

The insured and his company are protected from liability arising out of the use of an insured vehicle by anyone using the vehicle with the permission of the insured.

If the vehicle is covered for collision then the owner's policy also pays for its damage.

Back