Progressive vs State Farm

Nov 19, 2018

1. Nomadd917

Nomadd917 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would choose an independent agent and ask them about their experiences with each company they write for and go with the one they recommend.

2. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    Except of course independent agents don't write for State Farm.

3. indienoise

indienoise Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    State Farm treats their insureds mostly well, but they are definitely not the end-all of insurance companies. I seem to hear the most consistently good feedback about Erie. A lot of their agents kind of hate their practices for the same reasons insureds love them (pay now, ask questions later seems to be their motto)
    Talk to a state Farm agent, sure. Talk to an independent agent too.

4. Nomadd917

Nomadd917 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You have bad apples and bad experiences with every company. State Farm just has more of them. Progressive has a lot too.

I find a lot claims issues stem from a lack knowledge and training for adjusters or adjusters are too proud to admit they are wrong.

5. jonathan b

jonathan b Expert

State:
    Texas
    I wouldn't buy either. State Farm had to be sued to make them pay Katrina victims. Although if progressive decides to pay a claim ... they treat the customer fine. But I have seen them do some shady things. I have a broker that gave me safeco. I have had claims on house and car and have been satisfied. Yes, I have my p&c license but found a big broker got me better rates.