Prostate Cancer

jaguar99

What is the industry's take, in general on underwriting prostate cancer cases. How long after a successful surgery does one generally have to wait before getting a decent policy? Are there any term insurers that specialize in relatively high-risk cases like this?

What is the industry's take, in general on underwriting prostate cancer cases. How long after a successful surgery does one generally have to wait before getting a decent policy? Are there any term insurers that specialize in relatively high-risk cases like this?

You should be consulting with an underwriter(s) or the undewriters of a general agency who can advise and shop it around to the major carriers and knows their rules and habits.

I would not submit anything where it has not been at least 5 years. Then, they need to look at the diagnosis, pathology report etc. The underwriters need to know the Gleason rating which is a measure of the rate of growth, if there was any indication of whether it spread beyond the capsule etc, the psa rating etc. The client should expect to be rated up but many are insurable after the right amount of time and with good lab reports in that time.

There are always graded policies to be considered if it comes to that or you might get an offer like that from a company that reviews it.

If he smokes, then the rates are already so high to begin with depending on how old the client is then that does not leave much room for him to be rated up a couple notches and still have a rate that he can afford. If he doesnt smoke and doesnt have other conditions then it is worth the effort. Assuming he didnt have the operation just last year and assuming he doesnt have high blood pressure and diabetes along with it.

My thoughts anyway.

Winter

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I have a request from someone who just had surgery last April.:unsure: I thought the odds were against him, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I have a request from someone who just had surgery last April.:unsure: I thought the odds were against him, but just wanted to make sure.

Be sure to leave this client feeling like a winner, not a loser. "Well, Mr. Client, sounds like you and your doc feel like things are going as well as can be expected. Its a little early to submit an application, usually they like to see a couple years go by so that there is a higher level of confidence. We will stay in touch to make sure that we are on track to do that. You work on staying healthy and I will keep looing at your options as we go forward." .....or something like that.

Does he have a wife? Is she insured or are they waiting for her to get sick too? The family has had a brush with death here so it is a good time to show them some options and he is anxious right now to take steps to fight against death in general.

Winter

Back