Prudential to End Sales of Variable Annuities With Guaranteed Living Benefits

Whoa!

That news is as big as when The Hartford left the VA space. That's interesting.

I may be having a brainfart or something, but have any indexed annuities left the indexed annuity market??
Great American halted sales on their best riders and all carriers have "de-risked" their living benefits to some point but that's all that I'm aware of.

ING closed down US variable sales in 2010 after being the #1 VA carrier in 2007.

Don't blink or you could miss something.

Seems like many Companies are eliminating the 'Variable' option.

What about their Fixed Rate product....is it still offered ???

Seems like many Companies are eliminating the 'Variable' option.

What about their Fixed Rate product....is it still offered ???
This is the first major one that I can remember in the last 10 years (I guess you can count Ohio National).

Does Pru have an indexed product? I don't know.

I know that Jackson, Aliianz, AIG and a few of the other big players have both variable and indexed but I've never run into a Pru FIA.

I think it's just the riders... but without those riders, why would someone want to buy a variable annuity? Sure, you can annuitize it at any time, but I wouldn't want it.

I think it's just the riders... but without those riders, why would someone want to buy a variable annuity? Sure, you can annuitize it at any time, but I wouldn't want it.

I can't think of any good reason in modern times.

There have always been reasons advisors give... no trade fees in the subaccount, institutional funds not available on the retail market, etc.

Most other than annuitization have been made irrelevant by the modern retail market. And ultra low rates have made annuitization mostly irrelevant.

Pru had some crazy high lock-in amounts on their old products. 2009-2011 wasn't easy for them at all. Rates kept going lower. I don't think they ever recovered.

Back