Question About Getting Started In Insurance

jaybob

I posted in another forum my situation but I aslo thought I would post here about getting started to sell insurance. Basically my situation in a nut shell would be to work under an existing State Farm agent selling insurance. I understand that State Farm does a lot of cold calling. Im in a community of 40,000-60000 depends if you count the townds around us. So I know quite a few of the people here since I was born and raised so I may not have to cold call as often.

Whats the hardest part about getting started?

Also, I understand that most of the money to be made is selling life insurance but also could a guy make decent selling car insurance and home insurance?

Whats considered a full book of business or is there no such thing?

How do insurance agents get benefits? Just pay right of there pocket since most agents that a guy works for doesnt offer any benefits.

Thank you for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looks like my first post didnt get posted. Here it is.

Hi all, I have been in contact with a State Farm agency that is thinking about adding a few more agents to her office. I just graduated with a degree in financial management. I have a few questions.

Since i might be possibly working for an agent, how much lower would my commissions be?

Is State Farm a good company to start out with?

She is offering a base salery in the mid 20,000 a year range however there is no benefits. Its a M-F deal with Satrudays possible if you have appointments.

I went in for the first interview and she told me my degree will help me but they sell more of the "boring" stuff then what I primarily studied in college. Im ok with that as long as I can get some decent commissions from selling car insurance and other insurances.

What do you guys think of the potential opportunity.?

Sorry for all the NEWB questions but I kinda have to know as the next interview is Tuesday (March 8).

Thank you guys for all your advice/info.

(BTW is this right forum to post this, If not, Mods feel free to move it).

Last edited:
Back