Question for the Experts ; when Will the Other Shoe Drop?

Broker22

Expert
It appears to me that the ACA is unraveling and the speed at which it is doing so is accelerating. So the BIG question I have to ask those that generously contribute their expertise on the subject (which is much greater than mine despite the fact I do try to keep up while still working my business ) is when will the October 1 drop dead date of opening the Exchanges (yes marketplaces) be delayed until 2015. I am guessing August 2013, seriously I am not trying to make a joke out of this although IMO "Obamacare" has turned into a joke. I just can't see how they can continue the individual mandate and exchange piece of ACA when they are so far behind schedule and now another fundamental part of the legislation has been delayed. I have been planning to participate in the exchange despite my apprehension. I have said on forum previously that some of the components like children staying on parents plan to age 26, less recessions , preventative benefit package..etc..are a good thing and should remain. But after this blockbuster news about delaying the mandate and penalties for 50 plus groups I can't see how the other parts(individual mandate) can be implemented. I admit I am confused. Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated ! :swoon:

I can guarantee one thing.........change will be a constant.

With this move, a large majority with group will maintain group. This law was all about individual insurance reaching the uninsured, low income and the un-healthy with GI and subsidies. Even if the exchanges has initial flaws, it will launch on time come hell or high water to help those population segments. Dems won't give up "spending" money, but will be open to NOT taking more revenue/penalties (increasing cost of bill). You can already see the spin in the news....."this does not change exchanges and tax credits portion of the law"

I've always thought Obamacare was not functional, and therefore would be repealed, greatly amended or delayed. But after the Supreme Court ruling and Obama's reelection, plus the administrations push to implement it and issue 20,000 pages of regs, I accepted the fact that I was wrong. Now, I'm wondering if they have seen the light in the administration and realized that the IT tech won't be ready, the rules are too complex, and it's simply not functional. I think they deftly removed one domino in a line of dominos, causing employer group coverage to go to Individual. Liberals like Ezra Klein think so - Obamacare’s employer mandate shouldn’t be delayed. It should be repealed.. I think we're headed there.

For me, it doesn't matter. After the first gasp over the hours we've spent to prepare for this, I realized that I plan to sell more cases no matter what. If the law is Obamacare, I'll sell using their system. If it's a new system, I'll find my niche, prepare, and sell. I would be glad to get rid of the complexity, and the masses trying to fit through a small window of Oct-Dec open enrollment. Just one woman's opinion, but I think the dominos are falling, and Obama will go to Congress to present HIS plan, which he will state was not the same as the Dems in Congress's PPACA plan.

This is one in a long line of delays, not the first, certainly not the last.

Too many big political names have gone on record multiple times dictating that EXCHANGES WILL BE READY OCT. 1. Not might, not should be, WILL.

My gut tells me, yes, they will be open. Whether it works, handles the traffic, or has any product to offer is another question.

Keep in mind, even if the Fed's screw it up, there's still a handful of states doing it themselves, and they all indicate they will be on line Oct 1.

Some of them are just licensing existing infrastructure and software. I met with the company running MA's exchange, and they've licensed out to other states. I know for a fact, they already have it working. Load rates, flip the "on" switch, and it's good to go.

The key is "loading the rates." I'm not 100% certain the rates and plan designs will be ready in time to load into the system.

Here in IL, they are still working on it. For any changes, carriers were given 4 (four) days to get resubmitted. That's not a lot of time.

And I'm sure CMS is still working with (well, let's be honest, forcing) carriers to reduce their rates. With carriers likely agreeing, but wanting to cut network size to the bone.

So it's a give and take. Not sure when it will be done.

I can guarantee one thing.........change will be a constant.

With this move, a large majority with group will maintain group. This law was all about individual insurance reaching the uninsured, low income and the un-healthy with GI and subsidies. Even if the exchanges has initial flaws, it will launch on time come hell or high water to help those population segments. Dems won't give up "spending" money, but will be open to NOT taking more revenue/penalties (increasing cost of bill). You can already see the spin in the news....."this does not change exchanges and tax credits portion of the law"

Yes, I agree. In 99% of obummer's talks were about the individual and not group. It was always about this. If someone had read the legislation without passing it the employer mandate may not have gotten off the floor. The enrollment I firmly believe will start Oct 1 and my thinking is the employer mandate will either be fined tuned where it may work or scrapped all together. But then the individual side will not be funded.

No one knows what will happen (including the Feds) but it's entirely possible that the postponement of the large group penalties is a trial balloon floated to see if postponing everything until 2015 might be the best thing to do politically.

Back