Quickbooks

jbins

Does any independent agents use Quickbooks for your office? Does anyone have advise for using the web based online version only vs the desktop version?

The less of this type of thing one does and the more prospecting an selling the more succesful you will be.

I used to use the online version of quickbooks. It became expensive and to be honest, a LOT of overkill for what I needed. I don't have any client accounts (for billing purposes), I don't pay a ton of vendors, etc, etc, etc. I did this primarily because I used Quicken Payroll and thought it would be nice to have them integrated.

If you want to use quickbooks, I would recommend making the onetime investment and buying the desktop version, but this is a personal choice. They both work.

Now, I go the cheap way out. I still use Quicken Payroll because I'm to lazy to change, but I use Quicken Home and Business (desktop version) for my business accounting (not my home accounting though). It's simpler, allows me to scan receipts to a line item, does all the reporting I need, much improved life for me.

I always seem to fight with Quickbooks to make it work out for what I wanted. I know that I just never really took the time to learn it well, but its not really something I wanted to learn that indepth.

Dan

P.S. Like many agents, my accounting is very straightforward, no major purchases to depreciate over time, strictly cash based accounting, etc. Larger agencies can have a much bigger need than me.

Another drawback to the online version of quickbooks is the loss of control over your datafile. You cannot move the file from the online version, so you cannot migrate from online to desktop.

Simple Start is the cheapest and simplest qb program. Just money in, money out.

Back