Radio Ads for life insurance

Re: Radio Ads

I used to sell radio advertising, if that helps. The most common thing I heard from prospects was "I tried radio once, it dint work for me." Well, gee, let's take a look at that statement.

"I tried it ONCE" - this is akin to you buying a month of ads sponsoring one show. Will it work? Who knows?

Who listens to this show? How old are they? What are they interested in? Do they want what you have to offer? Oh, there's a good one.

What WILL you offer them? What do you want to accomplish? What do you WANT THEM to do when they here your ad? (Hint: if they are driving while listening, you probably don't want them texting you for more information.)

If you want them to call you, you better give them a reason to call RIGHT NOW. Keep in mind, insurance is something people like to procrastinate about.

Send them to a website? Not a bad idea - offer them a free download BUT... make sure the site you send them to has an easy to remember address - otherwise...

Depending on your demographics, your audience may be more or less inclined to use the computer.

Have them call that number? Again, it has to be easy to remember or many won't. AND they need that ever important motivation.

In radio, repetition is king. My most effective package was what was called a "saturation package" - a 60 second ad every hour, twelve hours per day for 3-5 days. How effective was it? Some of my most successful advertisers would ONLY use this method. They would have a big sale every few weeks and use radio (and newspaper as well as other media) to drive hordes of customers to their store.

Even for the most successful advertisers, some ads pulled disappointing results. Why? Because the message was not strong, the ad didn't get enough play or some other reason. Those advertisers didn't just throw up their hands and quit - they rolled up their sleeves and tried again.

Just like in direct sales, you can overcome a poor message with sheer volume. This doesn't mean you will, but you are likely to see more results with a terrible ad saturating the market than with an exceptional ad with minimal playtime.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Back