Realtor/Insurance Agent.

carroll

Guru
100+ Post Club
Kansas
Do realtors sell insurance to their clients? If you just sold them a house why not sell them Life insurance or Property insurance?

Anybody doing this?

I'm not sure if it just ''feels" cheesy or if you don't seem like a master of 'something' but it seems most PROFESSIONALS refer business, maybe vs
listing the house,
funding the home loan (same license in Ca.),
selling the home owners insurance,
the life &
auto insurance,
writing the home alarm system
and paving the pool
.....you can't DO EVERYTHING and LOOK like a PRO

I hold a real estate license, but I refer real estate business to another agent. Having the license means that I can get paid a referral fee (legally).

i know a ton of agents who does this but they only get a few since they cant do anything more complicated.

the others just work with a broker to quote for the closing.

I hold a real estate license, but I refer real estate business to another agent. Having the license means that I can get paid a referral fee (legally).

That is the reason I just got my realtors license. Never gave it a thought until a Realtor told me a couple of months ago that I could get 25% of his commish on everything I referred out to him. Wish I would have done it years ago!!

I can't see the time value being positive there. It's so much more efficient for both sides to have a partner take care of the other for them. I sure as heck don't want to deal with the process realtors go through to make a sale. The realtor might make $4-5k or more on a deal, but how many man hours did it take to close the deal?

I can go from hand shake to cya later in less than an hour for an HO policy, maybe 90 minutes if I package auto/life with it. I'll make an average of $500-600 commission off a multi-policy deal like that, for a time investment of no more than two hours. My realtor friends routinely put 30-40 man hours or more into deals.

No thanks! That's business partnerships are for.

Carroll are you a licensed realtor yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

Yes, I just got licensed in MO and KS. 20 years in the painting and remo biz......sold insurance part time in the off season (winter) for the last 4 years. Was either going into insurance or real estate full time as 2 of my long time employees are going to run the painting biz. I decided to go the real estate route over insurance. I still write take orders for insurance but now longer prospect for it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I can't see the time value being positive there. It's so much more efficient for both sides to have a partner take care of the other for them. I sure as heck don't want to deal with the process realtors go through to make a sale. The realtor might make $4-5k or more on a deal, but how many man hours did it take to close the deal?

I can go from hand shake to cya later in less than an hour for an HO policy, maybe 90 minutes if I package auto/life with it. I'll make an average of $500-600 commission off a multi-policy deal like that, for a time investment of no more than two hours. My realtor friends routinely put 30-40 man hours or more into deals.

No thanks! That's business partnerships are for.

I can see the benefit of offering both services out of one office with a business partner. I'm keeping my insurance license active in hopes of doing this within the next 3-5 years.

Last edited:
Back