Received a Job Offer, Conflict with Non-compete?

Let me tell you one thing - regardless if it will hold up in court if you piss the guy off you will be spending a lot of resources battling it out. He probably wont care if he wins or losses he knows he probably has more resources then you do to invest into a legal battle.

"receive any benefits as an owner of any agency or brokerage business on his own behalf or as an employee, associate, shareholder, or partner of another, engage in the insurance agency or brokerage business (including that of insurance adviser, consultant, or risk manager), within [County and Surrounding Counties]."

Personally I find the conditions of the agreement broad and not justifiable - what legal reason would he have to not let you work in the insurance industry?

cannot receive any benefit in any manner from any product? Just boots you out of the industry altogether -

Hi folks,

I received a job offer from a local company that offers personal insurance as one of it's many product offerings to manage their insurance sales team. To date, I've been a producer with an independent agency.

I was reviewing my non-compete today in advance of accepting the offer and came across a forgotten clause: "IDontWorkForRR covenants and agrees that for a period of two years following the termination of his employment with Company, howsoever caused, he will not, directly or indirectly, receive any benefits as an owner of any agency or brokerage business on his own behalf or as an employee, associate, shareholder, or partner of another, engage in the insurance agency or brokerage business (including that of insurance adviser, consultant, or risk manager), within [County and Surrounding Counties]."

Does this sort of thing hold water? Does this mean I can't accept a job as a sales manager supporting the insurance division of another company? Any thoughts on this?

The more ridiculous a non-compete is the better for you. This would fall into that category.:D Laughable is what it is

----------

It might not hold up once we get to court, but is this sort of switch the sort of thing they would be able to bring me to court over in the first place?

Speak to a lawyer before you do it.

Two lawyers in my state (Pennsylvania) say similar noncompetes have been upheld by courts in recent months. Sounds like I'm stuck with it.

Back