Referrals, Referrals, Referrals

The point is to generate referrals. A nice restaurant may be memorable, but not necessarily interest everyone enough to take the time to fill out a referral form.

I'm not going to take the time to refer someone if you're offering a gift cert. to an Italian restaurant if I don't like Italian food. I'm also not going to take the time to refer someone if the restaurant is not located someplace I find convenient.

A Wal-Mart type gift cert. is convenient, almost every community has one, and will be useful to far more people. You can make your agency memorable in other ways, but referral contests are more about getting NEW people in front of you than retention. Just my thought.

Any other tips or ideas? Do you think a restaurant gift card is better than somewhere like best buy or nordstroms?

Any other tips or ideas? Do you think a restaurant gift card is better than somewhere like best buy or nordstroms?

I like the idea of offering a gift card that can be used both at the store or on-line. Make it as convenient as possible to get the interest of as many people as possible.

A Wal-Mart type gift cert. is convenient, almost every community has one, and will be useful to far more people.

There's no doubt that is all true. There's also no doubt that it is boring.

Not much wow! factor to a Wal*Mart gift card....snooze....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Make it as convenient as possible to get the interest of as many people as possible.

Sorry, bad marketing idea.

When you try to get the interest of everyone, you end up with the interest of no one...

Last edited:
I'm no expert in insurance marketing but I have marketed quite a bit in my time.

One thing I can say, you can excite a lot of people in my neck of the woods with a $ 100 Wal Mart gift card.

I mean seriously, who is to say what is exciting and what is not for a customer. It really depends on your customer base.

When you try to get the interest of everyone, you end up with the interest of no one...
Alright, I will give some consideration to classing up the joint. Not sure how this thread got stuck on my Wal*Mart card (Mrs. Jones loved it last month)........ Moving on.

We tried something this week that has turned out to be interesting. Quartely we hire the local boyscout troop to attach our flyer to the neighborhood association newsletter. This flyer is usually filled with catch phrases and other propaganda to get clients to our office. They attach it and deliver 5000 of them to our area and can get these completed in an afternoon.

This time we decided to attach an announcement of a food drive for our community food bank. We announced that we woud be collecting non-perishable items and will deliver them on Dec. 1st and that we were trying to reach a goal of about 500 lbs of food. We have been overwhelmed with the amount of people that have walked into our office with cans of soup, boxes of oatmeal, dry cereal and other stuff...... All of these generous people have walked into the office with a smile on their face and a compliment for our efforts, all of them have asked for our cards and more information about our agency and most of them have never stepped foot in our office before.

We have already reached our food goal and have over a week to go. Not sure what the results will be as far as writing business but am looking forward to this on an annual basis.
By the way, I have been away for a week or so and in that time have had a chance to read a lot of these threads (never really on vacation - I love my job). I have taken the opportunity to copy and paste several posts and have compiled a desk top file folder filled with a plethora of very cool marketing ideas. All of which will be scanned through again and either implemented or discarded for future reference.

For the new forum member, there is a gold mine off information in here that is just waiting to be implemented. You just have to weed through some of the crap to get to it. But well worth the hours of reading.

Last edited:

I didn't suggest trying to get "everyone's" attention. I suggested getting more people's interest. I'll take 200 people coming to my website who can use a boring gas card over 10 people who are excited to try Les Fabulous any day. Sorry. I'll wow them once they're my client.

Sorry, lisar1208 and agent4sail I tried to PM you the links but need 30 posts to do that and agen4sail the email address that you sent me came back undeliverable. I think I have enough posts now to post the link now

No!! I tried again and it said that I have to have 15 posts. I think this post is 21

Does anyone know about the legality of passing out gift cards for referrals? I've heard it's ok to give things to current clients as long as you give them the gift card regardless of whether or not the referral buys. Is that true?

Back