Removed from Business Auto Insurance Coverage - Any Options?

Discussion in 'Auto Insurance Forum' started by mapps123, Aug 23, 2017.

1. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Guru

State:
    Arizona
    It's more likely that the employer has a Commercial Auto Policy (CA 00 01 or its equivalent) that defines "an insured" as:

Which eliminates coverage for "vicarious liability" if the employee uses his own vehicle.

And, like every P&C policy, there is this (or its equivalent):

If the employer conceals the fact that the disqualified employee is continuing to drive it would be an expensive mistake.

2. VolAgent

VolAgent Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    I believe he is saying that liability coverage would extend from the OP's PAP to the business due to vicarious liability.

Again, why would you risk your business over one employee? Assuming that line of reasoning would even hold, there are so many pitfalls to the business for trusting that the employee's personal policy will provide coverage.

3. InsCommentary

InsCommentary Super Genius

Responding to:

That just eliminates coverage for the employee under Symbols 1 or 9. The employer still has coverage under his own policy. The CA 99 33 is required to extend BAP coverage to an employee using his or her own car.

----------

I agree, but the question came from the employee, so I was trying to offer a potential, though highly unlikely, solution for him to propose. If the question came from the employer, I'd say exactly what you're saying. Too risky. Live and learn.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Guru

State:
    Arizona
    I think the OP already proposed something like that and the employer said no.

5. InsCommentary

InsCommentary Super Genius

That's why I asked "why" in case a reason was given (insured status, coverage, limit, etc.) that he could counter.