Repeal Obamacare? Not So Fast?

HealthGuy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Serious question: Legislatively, if a Repub is elected, what are the steps to repealing Obamacare, as they all promise? Logistically, is it as easy as an executive order, or does it have to go through the Senate and House all over again for a repeal vote and then the new Prez. would sign it? No sarcasm here, I really don't know the step by steps a new President would have to go through to get this repealed.

I think they are just flapping their lips.... they can't just sign it away. He would have to go back to the senate, and congress. I think the most we can hope for is some changes, but i think Obama will get re-elected. The press will say how good he is doing.. He got Bin Laden, ended one war, got Gahdafi, I say Ron Paul, is right, bring all our troops home. Iraq is mad at us for flying drones over Iraq. What are we doing over there?

Serious question: Legislatively, if a Repub is elected, what are the steps to repealing Obamacare, as they all promise? Logistically, is it as easy as an executive order, or does it have to go through the Senate and House all over again for a repeal vote and then the new Prez. would sign it? No sarcasm here, I really don't know the step by steps a new President would have to go through to get this repealed.

Repealing would require republican control of all 3 houses. But, with repub president, supposedly he can issue an executive order giving a waiver to the states. At least that's what the repub candidates say.

Obummer is going to have to find a new base if he wants to get re-elected.

He carried almost all the black and Hispanic vote last time. Certainly got his share of union votes.

But what put him over the top was the under 30 crowd and white middle to upper class females.

Under 30 now has 50% unemployment. I don't think many of them will vote for him.

Some who voted for him last time no longer live at the same address. Folks who lost their home to foreclosure probably won't vote for him again.

We really need him gone, especially since he has shown he will use any trick necessary (legal or illegal) to bypass Congress if he doesn't get his way.

Repealing Obamneycrap now will be almost impossible since a lot of the provisions have already unfolded plus a new one (free birth control) goes in to play in August.

If Republican's can take both houses they can defund it. This effectively hogties him even if he is re-elected.

Regardless, this man is dangerous and has the ability to take this country down even without the help of Congress.

Somebody asked Ron Paul that question in a debate and I think he said it would be fairly difficult or no easy task to repeal it.

Actually here is a clip at the 2:00 market where Paul basically says we won't have to repeal it. When we go bankrupt as a nation (which he predicts will happen soon) it will come to an end because our government won't be able to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul is probably right.

There isn't enough money to pay for that and all the other goodies like SS, Medicare, Medicaid . . .

Repealing it will take a lot of work. It will probably be dismantled piece by piece, with some pieces left intact. The law was full of unrelated provisions that have already gone into effect (for instance credits for adoptive families and credits for medical providers to upgrade their IT). The new Congress & President will need to be politically wise in what they cut first. For instance, they may not want to repeal the small business health insurance tax credit until they prove to small business that they've already repealed the portion of the law that will raise taxes & premiums for those small businesses.

If the Republicans left it unfunded it's still a law on the books, so a Democratic Congress could just implement it again. Defunding is a good way to delay implementation, but it is complicated work since the budget must be balanced. The way CBO calculated the costs and benefits was so bizarre that removing an entitlement actually ends up raising taxes in their calculations, because those entitlements were expected to lower overall spending in 10 years. Speaking of bizarre accounting rules, I wouldn't count on national financial doom to end PPACA, since the govt can print more money, get money from China, or swap money from one pocket to another like the way they've kept Medicare afloat for years.

Probably a Republican Congress would start with delaying implementation (defunding will delay), then work on repealing MAJOR portions that effectively kill its function (like the individual mandate), then work on repealing unpopular and expensive portions to gain political clout, then disentangle the other elements while leaving some provisions standing.

Concurrently, they need a determined path to a positive end-goal before the media drowns them in reports of "John and Jane Doe were devastated when Congress repealed the ____ entitlement", or "Congress's attempt to repeal the ____ provision, leaves a bzillion dollar deficit", or "Reform of health care is dead and millions are demanding that Congress fix it rather than just dismantle the old one."

Personally, I forsee MAJOR alterations, delays and reversals coming. I predict that PPACA cannot succeed. A Republican majority and presidency would get us there faster. We need to get there faster, but also get there better.

Last edited:
Since when did the budget have to be balanced? Obama said it wouldn't add to the deficit, but he only meant that to pass it. He almost immediately signed away other things that prevented the 10 years of revenue from paying for the 6 years of benefits 'balanced' approach they used to pass it with.

This year, the federal deficit is just slightly over $1T. Yes, that is a T, not a B, not a M. This is the deficit, the the amount they are spending. If you figure 330M in the US (not counting those we don't count), figure out what your portion of just the deficit spending this year is. Send in the check....

Dan

Back