Replacing plan J

Also, I didn't realize there was an additional charge for the prescription drug benefit. That's either never been mentioned in old thread comments about Plan J I've seen, or I forgot that piece of information. I have appreciated the information that has come out in this thread.

No one said there was an extra charge. They are saying that this lady’s plan J is over $100 more per month than switching to a plan F.

When the modernized plans came into effect in 2010 they took away J because it essentially didn’t offer any extra benefits compared to F. The at home recovery and preventive care are now covered.

No one said there was an extra charge. They are saying that this lady’s plan J is over $100 more per month than switching to a plan F.

When the modernized plans came into effect in 2010 they took away J because it essentially didn’t offer any extra benefits compared to F. The at home recovery and preventive care are now covered.

Since I asked the question, I am aware that the prospect's plan J did not include drug coverage. I also understand that changes in Medicare law took away most of the "uniqueness" of Plan J.

Newby's post suggested to me that Plan J's that included prescription drug coverage were not offered at the time this prospect's Plan J was purchased. The wording of his post also suggested to me that when they were offered, they cost more than a plan J without prescription drug coverage. If what you said is correct, then I misunderstood what Newby was trying to tell me about Plan J.

I have been trying to reconcile what ds4 said with what newby said about the utility of the old medigap "embedded" drug coverage. I have gotten as far as seeing the change happened in 2006, but I can't come up with easily available plan comparison charts or supplementary information for the pre 2006 plans. I'll have to go back to that another time.

• Three of the ten standardized Medicare supplemental plans, (plans H, I, and J) include prescription drug coverage. All three plan types have a $250 deductible for the drug benefit and require 50 percent coinsurance. The H and I plans have a cap on drug benefits of $1,250 while the J plan caps the benefit at $3,000.”

Back