Restoration woes???

gribur

I am in a bind. We had a flood and were lied to by the restoration company and they told us they were prefered by our insurance company, which wasnt true. In the meantime they attempted to clean our house and took all softwares offsite for cleaning. We fired them in the meantime due to poor job and have now been told by the insurance company who our preferrred is and they are doing great. We got our clothes back today and sure enough they are dirty and have now been re sent out with new company to be re cleaned. in the meantime we have discovered 4 items in the house that have been broken by the first company totalling around $1500 and my insurance says its not covered, so i am wondering who covers this? I am angry as hell as they broke it and Now i need to find out who covers the stuff that they broke.

I am in a bind. We had a flood and were lied to by the restoration company and they told us they were prefered by our insurance company, which wasnt true. In the meantime they attempted to clean our house and took all softwares offsite for cleaning. We fired them in the meantime due to poor job and have now been told by the insurance company who our preferrred is and they are doing great. We got our clothes back today and sure enough they are dirty and have now been re sent out with new company to be re cleaned. in the meantime we have discovered 4 items in the house that have been broken by the first company totalling around $1500 and my insurance says its not covered, so i am wondering who covers this? I am angry as hell as they broke it and Now i need to find out who covers the stuff that they broke.

You have to take that first company to small claims court and try to prove it was their fault.

what a joke. I have not even put in my list for items damaged in the flood and now i have to buck up and start a suit against the restoration idiots. If my broker would have picked up her damn phone and done her job i would have known these idiots were not preferred by my insurance and would not have gone with them. I really think that it should fall to the insurance company as it was an item damaged in my insured home by a company which was working to repair damage that is being paid for by insurance. I am pissed

what a joke. I have not even put in my list for items damaged in the flood and now i have to buck up and start a suit against the restoration idiots. If my broker would have picked up her damn phone and done her job i would have known these idiots were not preferred by my insurance and would not have gone with them. I really think that it should fall to the insurance company as it was an item damaged in my insured home by a company which was working to repair damage that is being paid for by insurance. I am pissed

That does sound pretty annoying. I'd also file a complaint against the company with the BBB at the same time you file for small claims. You want to get in this company's head that you are going to be a real pain until they right the situation with you.

See if your state requres them to be licensed. What did you sign with them? You may be subject to pay them also!!!! What did they damage. What makes you thing they broke it!

I know this is a stressful time for you, but you should be clear on a couple of things.

First, it is your job to mitigate the loss, not your brokers. Your broker can be helpful, and providing a list of preferred vendors is a helpful thing to do. Agents and brokers should be there to help you navigate the filing of a claim, but they are not required to dispatch a repair service or even to provide the names of those repair services. If there is a preferred vendor list, like I said, it is helpful to provide it, but that would really fall more under the purview of the claims department.

It is not the fault of your insurance carrier that you hired a bad company to do a job. If they broke something (or $1,500 worth of somethings), get their insurance information and file a claim on their policy. You don't need to "buck up and start a suit", just file a claim on their liability policy. When you request their insurance info, a few scenarios will occur:
1. They might just pay for the items so a claim does not need to be filed.
2. The will give you the info, and you call, file a claim and meet with the adjuster and demonstrate exactly what you are claiming, why you are claiming it and how it happened.
3. They might not have insurance, which you would know if you did your due diligence before hiring them.

Back