Routine Spine Surgery and Prior Authorization

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Prior authorization has become a thorn in the side of physicians across specialties, and spine is no exception.

My wish for 2024 is the disappearance of prior authorization for routine spinal surgery such as lumbar microdiscectomy/laminectomy, cervical disc replacement, anterior cervical disc and fusion, lumbar disc replacement and lumbar interbody fusion. Prior authorization delays treatment for patients on a regular basis and jeopardizes patient care and safety. My office spends countless hours on the phone on authorizations that are either denied or not responded to by insurance frequently. Routine surgeries, as mentioned above, should not require prior authorization. This way, patient care won't be jeopardized by an insurance company's denial or lack of response.

I am certain agents on this forum will consider PA for routine spinal surgery a rarity, as it never happens with their policyholders. But other readers who have open minds may be enlightened by this information.

The mind is like a parachute. It functions best when opened.

And I thought MedSups didn't require Prior Authorization.
Somarco has an odd way of not attributing quotes when he is referencing an article; hence, it appears that he is the one saying/typing the words.

In this instance, he's actually just copying and pasting an article from some place called Becker Spine but it's hard to tell that if you are not aware of his idiosyncracies.

Somarco has an odd way of not attributing quotes when he is referencing an article; hence, it appears that he is the one saying/typing the words.

In this instance, he's actually just copying and pasting an article from some place called Becker Spine but it's hard to tell that if you are not aware of his idiosyncracies.

He is the Philosopher King of medicare supplements.He doesn't
t steer any prospects away from MA or towards medigap he simply enlightens prospects of the ways of original medicare then closes by saying " you have chosen well "

Back