Self-Funding/Self-Studying for CPCU

Tcollins

Expert
Vermont
I'm somewhat of a youngster in the insurance industry, but I am grateful that my career led me to P & C insurance and have a lot of drive to expand my knowledge as a risk management professional. I'm trying to fly under the radar while doing this (only my partner and a few individuals know I am studying), for personal reasons the relate to my personal life, my immediate family members and my current professional role at an unnamed insurance organization.

I am actually enjoying studying for the CPCU (hoping to take the CPCP 500 in the next testing window and have been studying diligently before and after work, on weekends, even during lunch when I'm able to).

The process is helping me better understand some of the tools used in the industry to determine risk appetite and how insurance providers (and many professionals in a variety of industries) assess loss exposures, investment opportunities, risk mitigation, prioritization, etc.

I'm hopeful that if I can remain disciplined that I can pass 3 or 4 CPCU exams in the next 12 months, but that may be overly-optimistic.

I also know that some of the later exams involve more technical mathematics and equations, and although math has never been my strongest suit, I believe I will bulldoze through those particular concepts even though it will take longer and require more work than the basic terminology, fundamental concepts, etc.

At any rate, I figured why not make a post on here since I haven't posted in awhile and see if anyone cared to share their own experience with CPCU or other similar designations.

I used BigDaddyU to help me study for my ChFC designation a few years ago. Scott Wasserman is a great instructor and he has supplemental study lectures for CPCU courses.

Definitely worth checking out.

www.bigdaddyu.com

Designations are nice but they never put any more $$ in my pocket or created "instant credibility".

Do it for the education, not for the ability to add a few letters after your name on your business card.

Back