Selling P&C from home

Lizzelbeez

Do you know of any carriers that will appoint you and allow you to sell from a home office/agency? I am needing to work from home due to my husband’s health and needing to be home more. I am licensed in P&C as well as Life Accident & Health.

Farmers used to allow this and I'm sure you can find some smaller carriers but most majors want an office which they can brand in company color schemes. and since some P&C customers CAN be really weird, do you want them coming to your home to make a premium payment or to make an endorsement?

Most carriers like to see a physical office location. However if you are 100% home based, get appointed with MGA's instead. They usually don't require a physical location to write business with them

Many carriers will not allow this, sad as it is to say.

There are several ways around this though, none of them being perfect.
  1. Join and use a cluster that knows what they are doing. Broach the subject with them when you interview them.
  2. Sign up with a REGUS type office and use them as your professional address. Some carriers will accept this.
  3. Focus on Commercial P&C. Work from home for commercial seems to be slightly more common.
  4. Go to selling life insurance. This is far more normal in Life then P&C.
Best of Luck in your business venture.

You can get an appointment using a home office for Life and Medicare. So why don't you test out Final Expenses & Medicare first?

As for your P&C, find a local agent that allows you to place your clients there for the meantime and split commissions with him/her. Just make sure you have in writing that one day, you may be pulling out your clients as you get your own P&C appointment.

Just getting appointments is the easy part. Running an agency is totally different. Best advice is work from home as agent. In in FL let me know.

Back