SEP March 15 - April 30 2015 Policy Effective Dates

rzzr

I am aware of attestations necessary from other discussions on the forums and communications from CMS in order for individuals to sign up for coverage during this period.

My question is what will be the effective dates of these enrollment's?

Intuition says those who sign up on 03/15 will get edate 04/01. Those who sign up 03/16-04/15 will get edate 05/01. Those who sign up 04/16-04/30 will get edate 06/01.

This would lead me to believe that most of the leg work should be done these next two weeks for clients wanting/needing coverage ASAP.

Anyone know of a source to confirm this however? How about clarification on if individuals will be penalized for not having ACA coverage 9 months out of the year.

Thoughts?

This CMS press release confirms that your effective date assumptions are correct. Same enrollment/effective-date schedule that we've become accustomed to.

Ref: 2015-02-20 - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

It puzzles me why HHS-CMS is waiting until 3/15/2015 to put this Special Enrollment Period in place? Every day there are people filing taxes and wanting an ASAP effective date, to reduce the 2015 penalty as much as possible.

Thank you for the Ref Allen.

I'm puzzled just as much by that..thinking they want as many individuals as possible to sign up. Perhaps it's to give carriers a chance to catch up on books. Could also be to give themselves the chance to process and verify incomes which will be due coming up as well.

From what I'm reading, the Administration wants to minimize the number of Democrats who get pizzed off over having to pay a 2% penalty during the 2016 election year. This penalty is the least of the ObamaCare problems they should be concerned about.

Back