Sickle Cell Anemia As a Pre Existing, What Are My Options

mcodp

Hello, I am a new member here and would like to ask you'll a question. I am 26 years old and My group coverage terminated on 10/1/2011 due to employment termination. Well, I have a genetic condition called Sickle Cell Anemia, and it is on the do not approve list. What are my options as far as individual coverage. If it helps, I also own my own small business, but I'm my only employee. I know with PCIP, I have to be w/o ins for 6 months, so what are my options. I need something to hold me over until my 6 months comes through. Are those plans that are underwritten by US Health Group really legitimate insurance or just discount plans bc they always say there is no deductible? Please help someone, thank you much.

You should have COBRA options unless the group plan is no longer in existence. After COBRA there are HIPAA conversion options.

Some STM (short term medical) may not ask specifically about sickle cell and may issue a policy, but it won't cover your pre-ex condition(s).

Discount plans are a waste of money.

If these don't work for you then PCIP.

What are my options as far as individual coverage. If it helps, I also own my own small business, but I'm my only employee. I know with PCIP, I have to be w/o ins for 6 months, so what are my options. I need something to hold me over until my 6 months comes through. Are those plans that are underwritten by US Health Group really legitimate insurance or just discount plans bc they always say there is no deductible? Please help someone, thank you much.

well you are right about the PCIP and to get into the risk pool you have to exhaust your cobra before you can get into that....as far as US health Group is not a good option........

thanks for the fast replies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
well you are right about the PCIP and to get into the risk pool you have to exhaust your cobra before you can get into that....as far as US health Group is not a good option........

How can I find out if I have exhausted my Cobra?

Last edited:
FAQs For Employees About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage

Q7: How long after a qualifying event do I have to elect COBRA coverage?
Qualified beneficiaries must be given an election period during which each qualified beneficiary may choose whether to elect COBRA coverage. Each qualified beneficiary may independently elect COBRA coverage. A covered employee or the covered employee's spouse may elect COBRA coverage on behalf of all other qualified beneficiaries. A parent or legal guardian may elect on behalf of a minor child. Qualified beneficiaries must be given at least 60 days for the election. This period is measured from the later of the coverage loss date or the date the COBRA election notice is provided by the employer or plan administrator. The election notice must be provided in person or by first class mail within 14 days after the plan administrator receives notice that a qualifying event has occurred.

Thx Somarco, Looks like I am not eligible, as it has been past 60+ days. High Risk Pool it is.

Thx Somarco, Looks like I am not eligible, as it has been past 60+ days. High Risk Pool it is.

sorry.....no it is not.....if you were eligible for cobra and did not take it you still have to wait 18 months to get into the risk pool.....now your only 4 months away for the Texas PCIP plan....or get your cobra back and pay the past prem's......

Back