Signing Up for Medicare 2 months After 65th B day Month...Part D LEP & Enrollment Period Question

somarco I will have to disagree with you. MediShare65+ is secondary to Part A and Part B. They only share the Part A deductibles and the Part B deductible plus the 20%. I have never heard of someone having Part A and Part B having to raise money or beg. It just is not true. Millions of people opt out of buying a supplement and do not enroll in a MAPD and only have Part A and Part B and their providers accept that. Never heard of anyone having to prepay their Medicare copays and deductibles before a procedure. I have a Plan G with a little known carrier but when I go to the doctor they ask for my insurance and when they see I have Part A and Part B along with a supplement the staff never ask me for anything else. If I handed them my Medicare card and a MediShare card they would not ask a question either. As long as you have Part A and Part B you are fine so I strongly disagree with your post.

I had someone contact me last month who turned 65 in June 2022. Somehow they were under the impression that they could keep their Medi-Share plan and it qualified as creditable group coverage. After informing them that it was not, I advised them to sign up for Medicare A & B asap, which they did in August. Since they waited 2 months after their birthday month their Part B will go into effect 11/01/22.That part I'm familiar with(although it's changing in 2023). But if they sign up for a PDP or MAPD in October, will they receive a LEP for Part D? Since their IEP was over in September ? I assume they could enroll in October for a 11/01 effective date and wouldn't have to wait till AEP for a 01/01/23 effective date ? Is this correct?

I love how off track this thread has become.

Why would the client wait until October to join a PDP/MAPD and what election would they have available?

Yeah the MediiShare 65+ plan is interesting but the thread def. got hijacked lol. They do not want the MediShare 65 + plan, they want a Med Supp & PDP most likely. Possibly MAPD. If they get their MBI# in the next week we will do it in Sept, but without that it would be impossible for them to enroll in a PDP(or MAPD for that matter) to my knowledge ? So it would be October, and yes, that's my question, would they have a valid election period for PDP or MAPD or have to use AEP ? And I believe either way they would incur a small LEP for Part D. The Med Supp is no problem.

Sorry for taking this thread in another direction. I just thought since they were comfortable with MediShare they might like their after 65 product. Didn't mean for it to become a disagreement between me and another agent who does not understand how MediShare 65+ works.

@billyb it matters not to me if you believe me or not. Quite a few agents shoot off their mouth without bothering to shepardize their case.

Showing up at a hospital with a sharing ministry is tantamount to showing up without insurance.

Here are some links . . . just in case you or anyone else would like to learn how hospitals approach uninsured patients who have a planned admission.

What Will Happen if I Go to the Hospital Without Insurance?

https://www.verywellhealth.com/paying-deductible-before-receiving-care-4159403

https://www.moneysmartguides.com/pros-and-cons-health-share-planscompany goes out of business

Healthcare sharing ministries: A leap of faith? | healthinsurance.org

And FWIW, I do know how MediShare 65+ works . . . more importantly, I also know how hospitals handle pre-planned admissions and claims.

I have discovered quite a few agents can sell a program but have no idea how (or if) claims are paid and what happens when claims are not paid

Last edited:
@billybShowing up at a hospital with a sharing ministry is tantamount to showing up without insurance.
. . . just in case you or anyone else would like to learn how hospitals approach uninsured patients who have a planned admission.

How many times do I have to say this. A beneficiary does have coverage and it is called Medicare Part A and Part B. They are not unsinsured. Even if MediShare did not share the charges over and above what original Medicare approved and paid, which is something they have never done if the charge is approved by Medicare, their Part A and Part B would still pay.

I had someone contact me last month who turned 65 in June 2022. Somehow they were under the impression that they could keep their Medi-Share plan and it qualified as creditable group coverage. After informing them that it was not, I advised them to sign up for Medicare A & B asap, which they did in August. Since they waited 2 months after their birthday month their Part B will go into effect 11/01/22.That part I'm familiar with(although it's changing in 2023). But if they sign up for a PDP or MAPD in October, will they receive a LEP for Part D? Since their IEP was over in September ? I assume they could enroll in October for a 11/01 effective date and wouldn't have to wait till AEP for a 01/01/23 effective date ? Is this correct?

Back to the original question, they are paying the LEP. Thankfully, its only 7 months.

Back