Medicare Advantage Enrollment periods

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a guy who has been on Medicare Advantage for 3 years now who wants to go back to Original Medicare. What I never understood is why Medicare doesn't tell people who have been on Medicare Advantage for more than a year that if they want to go back to Original Medicare, they have to have it done by December 7th. Why is there an enrollment period for Medicare Advantage from January 1st through March 31st? It never made sense to have two enrollment periods.

I have a guy who has been on Medicare Advantage for 3 years now who wants to go back to Original Medicare. What I never understood is why Medicare doesn't tell people who have been on Medicare Advantage for more than a year that if they want to go back to Original Medicare, they have to have it done by December 7th. Why is there an enrollment period for Medicare Advantage from January 1st through March 31st? It never made sense to have two enrollment periods.

That’s not correct, he can go back to original Medicare during OEP by signing up for a PDP.

That’s not correct, he can go back to original Medicare during OEP by signing up for a PDP.
Signing up for PDP shouldn’t happen until you get them back on a Med Sup through UW and then write them the PDP to disenroll them from the MAPD. Chances are once you tell them the rate for Med Sup plus how crappy the PDP will be plus losing all their dental, vision, hearing, OTC, etc they will stay with the MAPD. I’ve never had anyone go back to a Med Sup and PDP after enjoying their MA plan.

Signing up for PDP shouldn’t happen until you get them back on a Med Sup through UW and then write them the PDP to disenroll them from the MAPD. Chances are once you tell them the rate for Med Sup plus how crappy the PDP will be plus losing all their dental, vision, hearing, OTC, etc they will stay with the MAPD. I’ve never had anyone go back to a Med Sup and PDP after enjoying their MA plan.
Spot on, plus they better get it done quick if going back to O.M. by 3/31

I'm going to need you to turn in your license now.

As to the "Why" the MA OEP exists -- it's basically there for those who have AEP buyer's remorse.

If they missed the OEP deadline of 3/31, there may be additional Enrollment Period options for the consumer. I hope they were able to get it all worked out!

Back