Soft Market Marketing ?

As an agent with a degree in marketing, I'll second that - at first I wanted to say, NO WAY, could I ever release any names of my clients to the public. However, with permission, and wording within the letter indicating that you have been referred to that neighbor by your client, I want to say that it is a semi "out of the box" strategy at the very least and could be pretty productive, assuming that all of the nieghbors like each other of course, if they all hate each other than you can kiss them all goodbye.

The other thing that you would also probably have to do, is indicate somewhere in that letter that you have received your insured's permission to mail these postcards, as I'm sure there are plenty of people that would receive that postcard and hesitate to contact you out of the simple fear that their names would also be released on a mass scale.

Just a tip - if one were interested in this approach, as time consuming as it may be, I would hand write a card and mail it in an envelope. After all, this is supposed to feel personal, and that would never be conveyed by a pre-printed post card. I'm sure that the receiver would also feel much more secure receiving something that looks like it was intended for he/she.

Also remember, this world is WAY over marketed to. There are really only 2 formulas for success: 1) play the numbers game and cross your fingers for good results or 2) think outside of the box and don't even give the person a chance to realize that they're being marketed to. Always put yourself in the shoes of the other person and think of how you would react to your own marketing approach - realistically.

Mass Mutual uses this tactic.

They send you into the appointment armed with names/addresses of 10 neighbors. After the appointment you whip out the list and say "are there any names on this list should I skip?"

When soliciting the neighbors who made the cut from your client, you are supposed to say "I was talking to Mrs. Jones and she thought that you might be in need of my services...."

Back