Sonic, Diet Coke, Cross Selling and Social Media

shawnmwalker

Guru
1000 Post Club
Colorado
I like to try and get a drink at Sonic every afternoon. I get a Route 44, Diet Coke, with lime, easy on the ice. Two o’clock to four o’clock is happy hour, so the drinks are half off. I know I can get my drink for $1.04. I usually have the change ready and counted out.

Here is the kicker. EVERY TIME I order my Route 44, Diet Coke, with lime, easy on the ice, the person over the speaker says, “Do you want any cheese sticks with that?”

I always say no to the cheese sticks, but about 20% of the time I say “yes” to something else. Keep in mind; I never have the intention of getting anything but my drink, but the cross-sell still works on me 20% of the time.

So questions:
Do you try to cross-sell every time? Equally, if not more importantly, does your staff? What percentage of the time does it work? WHAT, you don’t know?

I am sure people come in wanting home and auto, but did you offer the life or health, the umbrella, the toys, did you ask about the toys? Do they have a business? (Don’t know how to write a BOP, learn, and earn the cross-sell.)

We actually got a snippet of social media today on accident.
First, you all read about my love for Sonic and Diet Coke. They did not pay me to write about them and yet here I am telling you about their happy hour schedule and the exact cost of a Route 44.

Second, I have just used social media to define myself to a large group of people who seemingly shouldn’t care about my caffeine addiction; and yet, here you are still reading. Why are you still reading? Because I gave you something valuable to think about. That is social media done right. Provide value that keeps them reading.
Regards,

Shawn M. Walker

I order the cheese sticks 5% of the time. Oh, we also know the Sonic happy hour schedule as those two creepy buffoons are spammed down our throats as we watch TV. Now we have to deal with someone here doing similar things with Forum threads.

Sonic owes you 1.04 for advertising them to those of us who may not know who/what Sonic is.

The question remains>? How often do you cross sell? How well rounded are your accounts? Is there opportunity to make more with the existing book you have?

Regards,
Shawn M. Walker

I order the cheese sticks 5% of the time. Oh, we also know the Sonic happy hour schedule as those two creepy buffoons are spammed down our throats as we watch TV. Now we have to deal with someone here doing similar things with Forum threads.

Sonic owes you 1.04 for advertising them to those of us who may not know who/what Sonic is.

Cheese sticks can really clog the arteries up. I'm glad someone started a thread about this epidemic. I probably order them 3% of the time. We should have a poll...

Unfortunately, 20% of the thousands of agents I've encountered in my 12 years experience will not take the time to fill out that poll. On the positive side, 80% will weigh in.

I can't trust the percentages in this thread as he said the Route 44 is exactly $1.04 which it is not...it is $1.05 here. No accounting for variable taxes based on location! Cherry Limeade is really where it is at anyhow, but I do not recommend chasing that with a caramel shake immediately after....sits a little rough in the giblets.

Latest posts

Back