Special Election Period (SEP) Question

In my experience, it is seldom in a beneficiaries best interest to switch from group to MA, especially considering the continued volatility of the MA plans, and I've never written an MA in this situation.

I agree here because if they cancel their group coverage they will likely never get it back.

I am in Alabama and new to this business and have only ran across this one time. I had a man who wanted to enroll in an MAPD but was not dual. He was covered by group insurance and I had heard something about this SEP so I looked into it. He voluntarily disenrolled from his group coverage and all we needed was a signed statement from him. I think if he would have lost coverage involuntarily then we would have needed documentation from the employer. Like I said, I have only ran across this one time and with being new, everyday is a learning experience so I do not recall specifics, but it was done.

Also another SEP I have not seen mentioned is that if someone wants to enroll in an MAPD and they are not dual, you may enroll them if they drop the drug coverage and just enroll in a MA, but they would have no drug coverage at all until open enrollment. I have had one lady willing to do this since I have started working.

Back