Starting in Insurance with Combined. Bad Idea?

aarono26

My friend recently got hired by Combined Insurance and is working a rural/small town market and claims he is doing well for just starting out and has a big advantage as he knows some of the people and a lot of the work is just getting people to continue their policies.

Hes offered to refer me a couple times and I'm heavily considering it. I'm currently working 65 hours a week so I don't mind working if the reward is there. Just right now I want to find a semi-full time career until I get back into school/finish a degree in Finance.

I'm a 20 year old male living in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota and would like to work around here as I have a couple schools in mind here.

I've read some absolute horror stories about Combined and the ratio of unfavorable to favorable reviews seems to be about 70:30 right now. But I've also heard their training program is excellent so perhaps use them to get some great training, do it for a while and perhaps move into a different company/leave the field for good.

If more information is needed to give advice I'll gladly give it, I hope to learn a lot from you guys and I've done a bit of ghosting trying to find relevant topics related to Combined. Havn't had the best luck so I decided to register and post this.

I've also had an inkling for real estate. I have another friend who is highly motivated and started selling real estate in the same town as my insurance friend. He's doing quite well too but has stated that many months it can be very slow so it's a good idea to have some cash cushion built up. From the sounds of it real estate seems to be a bit more laid back from talking with both of them.

........But I've also heard their training program is excellent so perhaps use them to get some great training, do it for a while and perhaps move into a different company/leave the field for good.......

Not a bad plan. I hear that they teach you to SELL. If you learn to sell you can write your own ticket.

I have never worked for Combined, but have worked with a couple of people that have come from Combined, the biggest thing they say is the company taught them to sell. Their policies are not the greatest butit might be a good starting place for you to learn if this is the industry for you.

Back