State Farm agents opening Goosehead

who (carrier/group/ other) did you end up going with as an indy?

This is the million dollar question from newbies everywhere.

What level of experience did you have?

That is a million dollar question.

My experience? less then 1 year. I was part time (1 day out of the week) paid my license myself. This was a few years ago. Most of the time I wasn't even working but they still had me active which helped me get my appointments.

All my companies are direct appointment and I do have 1 MGA for things I can't possibly get by myself.

How did I get these appointment? I lied! I told every marketing rep that I had 3 years and blah blah blah. Be smooth and talk out of your ass.

Most of the companies I have are non-standard so I only write high risk people. Which I want to move to standard companies.

I had a rough start. I do have a partner 50/50 but he has no experience in insurance.

We both quit our construction office jobs. We were broke but tried our luck.

Obviously there is more to the story but too much to write.

who (carrier/group/ other) did you end up going with as an indy?

This is the million dollar question from newbies everywhere.

What level of experience did you have?
I went through SIAA but there are ways to go without doing this. Shoot me a private message and I can go into more detail. Honestly 90% of what I do is outside of the group. Don’t really do anything through them. I have direct with Jon standard and MGAs for some commercial and other referrals I get.

Would not advocate lying and telling a story about your experience. Reps give out appointments sometimes without having to do this. They will also follow up on a lot of the details in my experience.

I went through SIAA but there are ways to go without doing this. Shoot me a private message and I can go into more detail. Honestly 90% of what I do is outside of the group. Don’t really do anything through them. I have direct with Jon standard and MGAs for some commercial and other referrals I get.

Would not advocate lying and telling a story about your experience. Reps give out appointments sometimes without having to do this. They will also follow up on a lot of the details in my experience.

You're right. Some companies I got appointment with just asked for the appointment fee. Only a couple that wanted to hear about your experience. They only care if you sell a lot of their products.

Neither a Joke or Spam. Which company are your referring to? I was just updating your forum post, so if people are interested in gathering additional information on either Brightway or Goosehead they have it. I want to share what I have researched. Personally either one of these franchise options is what I've been looking for and fit my needs.
Just curious, what about them do you like? I want to hear all perspectives of this. They certainly are not for me but are for some others and I also want others to hear the good and bad.

I would be seriously concerned about the commercial insurance clients you will have to turn away but otherwise let us know your thoughts about them.

That is a million dollar question.

My experience? less then 1 year. I was part time (1 day out of the week) paid my license myself. This was a few years ago. Most of the time I wasn't even working but they still had me active which helped me get my appointments.

All my companies are direct appointment and I do have 1 MGA for things I can't possibly get by myself.

How did I get these appointment? I lied! I told every marketing rep that I had 3 years and blah blah blah. Be smooth and talk out of your ass.

Most of the companies I have are non-standard so I only write high risk people. Which I want to move to standard companies.

I had a rough start. I do have a partner 50/50 but he has no experience in insurance.

We both quit our construction office jobs. We were broke but tried our luck.

Obviously there is more to the story but too much to write.

Couple things... First, I did what you did and started from scratch with no network, and not as much experience as I should have had. Hats off for grinding it out from the get-go. Second, although I can't condone flat out lying about the facts, there isn't a one of us that didn't perhaps overstate the projections along the way to keep a hungry carrier at bay.

Couple things... First, I did what you did and started from scratch with no network, and not as much experience as I should have had. Hats off for grinding it out from the get-go. Second, although I can't condone flat out lying about the facts, there isn't a one of us that didn't perhaps overstate the projections along the way to keep a hungry carrier at bay.

Thanks and yeah true.

Back