State Farm Team Member Commission

rolox1

Expert
I work for a new State Farm agent. If I do not sell a specified number of auto, fire, life, health and bank products each month then I do not make any commission on what I did sell. Is this fair? If I do make my goal I believe the commission is 3% and nothing on renewals. Is this how all agents have it set up? The only "benefits" I get are 10 days per year off (that is a combo of sick AND vacation days). NO health insurance. I have my P&C license and my LA&H license. Do indy agents give their reps more?

There isn't really a "standard". If you're getting a salary then you're getting a fair deal. Does that mean it's the right deal for you? Maybe not. Being a SF team member is usually more of a customer service job than anything else and it doesn't really require any super advanced training - there are many people working at target/MacDonald's/etc that could just as easily do the job and you're competing with them if you want to leave. Getting two weeks a year of paid time off is more than any independent agent gets.

You don't own the book and the renewals belong to the agent. Your situation is just like any other job, if you don't like what you're getting paid then you are free to walk elsewhere. If you're willing/capable of driving volumes of sales you're in a much better position.

Find an independent deal, you will be happier in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

There isn't really a "standard". If you're getting a salary then you're getting a fair deal. Does that mean it's the right deal for you? Maybe not. Being a SF team member is usually more of a customer service job than anything else and it doesn't really require any super advanced training - there are many people working at target/MacDonald's/etc that could just as easily do the job and you're competing with them if you want to leave. Getting two weeks a year of paid time off is more than any independent agent gets.

You don't own the book and the renewals belong to the agent. Your situation is just like any other job, if you don't like what you're getting paid then you are free to walk elsewhere. If you're willing/capable of driving volumes of sales you're in a much better position.

I was told it is all about the sales and customer service comes second. But how can I achieve my goals if State Farm rates in NY suck? I am fully licensed in NY plus a Notary on top of that. Also have an associates degree. I am not in an unskilled position. Believe it or not I value good customer service and I believe that it retains the current book of business and will allow me to write additional lines of business from within. I am always told service work should come last. Just seems strange that current customers are given the short end if the stick. Feedback anyone?

I'm assuming you are paid a salary then? I wouldnt touch that deal without a fixed salary (one that doesnt change and is expected to be replaced by commissions).

If I don't write enough business I get fired. Not only do I have to sell and do customer service work I am also the office manager and have to help total newbies with their work and still meet my quota

If I don't write enough business I get fired. Not only do I have to sell and do customer service work I am also the office manager and have to help total newbies with their work and still meet my quota

This is a great country and you have the freedom to change jobs if you'd like. Depending on the salary you could be being treated very fairly. If you're looking for a shoulder to cry on most of the folks here work straight commission and pay their own expenses with no guarantee they'll make any money.

If you want to work as a producer then you should either talk to the SF agent about focusing 100% on production (if that's what you want) or start looking for a producer job. Doing well in a sales position will almost always mean more money than being an office manager/CSR.

I understand what you are saying but when working for a State Farm agent you need to be an "expert" in all lines. Must be a combo of sales AND CSR and still make quota. I'm not overjoyed at wearing so many hats. I just wanted to know what others are going through. I will be sending out resumes shortly. I think I am better suited as a CSR with a minor in sales. I believe all current customers deserve excellent and immediate service. They should not be an afterthought

I work for a new State Farm agent. If I do not sell a specified number of auto, fire, life, health and bank products each month then I do not make any commission on what I did sell. Is this fair? If I do make my goal I believe the commission is 3% and nothing on renewals. Is this how all agents have it set up? The only "benefits" I get are 10 days per year off (that is a combo of sick AND vacation days). NO health insurance. I have my P&C license and my LA&H license. Do indy agents give their reps more?[/

.................That is awful!!!

Latest posts

Back